Soviet jewelry (soviet jewellery) is primarily gold, silver, platinum and palladium jewelry produced in The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) between 1922 and 1991.
Soviet gold jewelry
Gold jewelry was the most popular jewelry in the USSR. It was produced in lesser numbers than silver jewelry, yet it was the most desired metal by the Soviet public. The overwhelming majority of soviet gold jewelry was of rose or red 14 karat gold (583 millesimal fineness). Although gold of other, higher and lower purity, as well as different colors was used in the soviet jewelry production, the 583 millesimal fineness became[when?] the most popular choice, by far.
Soviet silver jewelry
Soviet silver jewelry was the most produced fine jewelry in the USSR. The most common millesimal fineness for silver jewelry became "875"..
Soviet platinum and palladium jewelry
Soviet platinum and palladium jewelry was not very common in USSR. These metals were reserved for recognized jewelry artists, jewelry intended for export or for limited production jewelry. To date very few of these items survived.
Soviet jewelry falls under the category of art, antiques and collectibles which are all grouped and defined as Movable Cultural Property. Although all Soviet jewelry can be called art, most of jewelry from USSR is considered to be collectibles and some, depending on the jurisdiction under which they are located, are (or soon to become) legitimate antiques .
- "Movable Cultural Property Program - Heritage Objects and Spaces - Topics". Pch.gc.ca. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict with Regulations for the Execution of the Convention". Portal.unesco.org. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Soviet Jewelers - Works by Masters of Soviet Republics 1960s-1970s, Sovetsky Hudozhnik Publishers, 1980, Moscow, 460 p., Б3-16-50-80
- Каталог 1 - Товары народного потребления - Ювелирные изделия - Изделия из золота, изд.: ЦНИИТЭИприборостроения, 1985, Москва,160 ст.
- Каталог 2 - Товары народного потребления - Ювелирные изделия - Изделия из серебра, изд.: ЦНИИТЭИприборостроения, 1985, Москва,64 ст.
- Справочник - Клейма на изделиях из драгоценных металлов 1917-2000гг (СССР-Россия), Н. Г. Троепольская, Collectors Books, 2000, Moscow, 720 p., ISBN 1-93252538-6
- Советские ювелирные изделия - 3 книги в 1, Тамойкин Д., 2013, Канада, 449 ст., ил. ISBN 978-0-9920793-0-7
- Ювелирные изделия и часы, В. А. Селиванкин, С. В. Тарасов, Госторгиздат, 1960, Москва, 224 ст. ил.
- Ювелирные товары и часы - Товароведение, В. Д. Логинов, ПТУ / Государственная торговля, Экономика, 1989, Москва, 208 ст. ил.