|"Sowing Season (Yeah)"|
|Single by Brand New|
|from the album The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me|
|Released||November 21, 2006|
|Brand New singles chronology|
"Sowing Season", titled "Sowing Season (Yeah)" in certain copies, is a song by American rock band Brand New, which was released as the lead single for their 2006 album, The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me.
Two different versions of the track have been released. The demo titled "Yeah (Sowing Season)" first leaked in January 2006, and was not officially made available until 2015 when it was included as part of the Leaked Demos 2006, whilst the reworked demo became the opening track "Sowing Season" on the band's 2006 album The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me.
An early incarnation of the track, known as "Yeah" was first described on the band's website in 2005, revealing that they had recorded it over the winter of 2004 and that "the refrain goes, "...YEAH!" and the middle eight is more like the chorus and it's got some loud guitars going on". In January 2006, a demo of the song was amongst nine tracks that leaked onto the internet, and was subsequently known as "Untitled #8".
After announcing the track listing of their third album The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me on October 3, 2006, the CD single of "Sowing Season" was offered to customers who preordered the album through their online merchandise store. On October 20, 2006, "Sowing Season" premiered on the band's Myspace profile.
The original lyrics for "Yeah (Sowing Season)" have been described by Lacey as being about "losing it all and figuring out how to get it all back". Elaborating on the track, Lacey revealed the track was written about members of his family going off to fight in World War II, specifically his Great Uncle, Leo Lacey. Jesse Lacey revealed that his Great Uncle Leo was an American soldier on a transport ship that was heading for Japan during the Pacific War. After the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki the transport he was on returned to America, which lead Jesse Lacey to consider the duality of both something great happening in his Great Uncle not being deployed whilst "something completely awful [was] happening".
In popular culture
|1.||"Sowing Season (Yeah)" (Jesse Lacey, Rudyard Kipling)||4:32|
- Jesse Lacey – lyricist, vocals, rhythm guitar
- Vincent Accardi – lead guitar
- Garrett Tierney – bass
- Brian Lane – drums, percussion
- Derrick Sherman - rhythm guitar
- Mike Sapone - production
- Claudius Mittendorfer - recording engineer
- Mike Lapierre - recording assistant
- "days later... we are still working on things". Brand New. 2 July 2005. Archived from the original on 12 July 2005. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Brand New The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me" (Review). altpress.com. Alternative Press. 6 April 2007. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "You can now pre-order the new album". fightoffyourdemons.com. Brand New. 16 October 2006. Archived from the original on 16 October 2006. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- ""sowing season (yeah)" is now availabe [sic] here: myspace". fightoffyourdemons.com. Brand New. 20 October 2006. Archived from the original on 20 October 2006. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- Lacey, Jesse (2 August 2007). "Jesse Lacey talking to the crowd" (Video). Smith's Olde Bar, Atlanta, Georgia: youtube.com. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- Lacey, Jesse (6 August 2007). "Jesse Lacey performing "Sowing Season"" (Live performance). youtube.com. House of Blues, New Orleans, Louisiana. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- McKinlay, Fiona (17 September 2009). ""I like talking to people": Brand New's Jesse Lacey chats to DiS." (Interview). Drowned In Sound. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
|This 2000s rock single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|