Soyuz TMA-16M approaches the ISS, 28 March 2015.
|Spacecraft type||Soyuz-TMA 11F732A47 No.716|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||27 March 2015
|Launch site||Baikonur 1/5|
|End of mission|
|Landing date||11 September 2015 (planned)|
|Docking with ISS|
|Docking port||Poisk zenith|
|Docking date||28 March 2015
|Undocking date||11 September 2015 (planned)|
Soyuz TMA-16M is a 2015 flight to the International Space Station. It transported three members of the Expedition 43 crew to the Station. TMA-16M is the 125th flight of a Soyuz spacecraft, the first having launched in 1967. The Soyuz will most likely remain docked to the Station for the Expedition 44 increment to serve as an emergency escape vehicle until its scheduled departure in September 2015.
|Position||Launching Crew Member||Landing Crew Member|
|Commander||Gennady Padalka, RSA
|Flight Engineer 1||Mikhail Korniyenko, RSA
|Andreas Mogensen, ESA
|Flight Engineer 2||Scott Kelly, NASA
|Aidyn Aimbetov, KazCosmos
|Commander||Aleksey Ovchinin, RSA|
|Flight Engineer 1||Sergey Volkov, RSA|
|Flight Engineer 2||Jeffrey Williams, NASA|
Launch, rendezvous and docking
Soyuz TMA-16M was launched successfully aboard a Soyuz-FG rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 19:42 UTC on Friday, 27 March 2015. The spacecraft reached low Earth orbit approximately nine minutes after lift-off. After executing rendezvous maneuvers, the Soyuz docked with the upward-facing port of the International Space Station's Poisk module approximately six hours after launch, at 01:33 UTC on 28 March. The docking occurred over Colombia.
Soyuz TMA-16M is scheduled to remained docked to the ISS—serving as an emergency escape vehicle–until September 2015, when it is to depart and return Padalka, Andreas Mogensen and Aydyn Aimbetov to Earth. This vehicle was previously scheduled to carry Sarah Brightman as a spaceflight participant, but Brightman's flight was announced to be cancelled on May 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soyuz TMA-16M.|
- Soyuz TMA-16M mission updates Spaceflight101, 28 march 2015
- Clark, Stephen. "Live coverage: Crew ready to begin record-setting space mission". SpaceflightNow. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- NASA, Roscosmos Assign Veteran Crew to Yearlong Space Station Mission NASA, 2012-11-26.
- Планируемые полёты (in Russian). astronaut.ru. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- Agencia Espacial Europea. "Andreas Mogensen’s mission name links cosmos and Earth". Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- TASS (22 June 2015). "Kazakhstani cosmonaut to fly to ISS in September in place of British singer Brightman" (in English).
- astronaut.ru (2013). "Орбитальные полёты".
- "Soyuz TMA-16M kicks off historic one year expedition". NASASpaceflight.com. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "One Year Crew Arrives at Station". NASA. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Brightman steps down from station flight". Spaceflightnow.com. Retrieved 28 May 2015.