Soyuz TMA-16M approaches the ISS, 28 March 2015.
|Spacecraft type||Soyuz-TMA 11F732A47 No.716|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||27 March 2015|
|Launch site||Baikonur 1/5|
|End of mission|
|Landing date||12 September 2015|
|Docking with ISS|
|Docking port||Poisk zenith, later Zvezda aft|
|Docking date||28 March 2015|
|Undocking date||11 September 2015|
|Time docked||167 days, 19 hours, 56 minutes|
(l-r) Kelly, Padalka and Kornienko
Soyuz TMA-16M was a 2015 flight to the International Space Station. It transported three members of the Expedition 43 crew to the Station. TMA-16M was the 125th flight of a Soyuz spacecraft, the first having launched in 1967.
|Position||Launching Crew Member||Landing Crew Member|
|Commander|| Gennady Padalka, RSA|
Fifth and last spaceflight
|Flight Engineer 1|| Mikhail Korniyenko, RSA
Second and last spaceflight
| Andreas Mogensen, ESA|
|Flight Engineer 2|| Scott Kelly, NASA
Fourth and last spaceflight
| Aidyn Aimbetov, KazCosmos|
|Commander||Aleksey Ovchinin, RSA|
|Flight Engineer 1||Sergey Volkov, RSA|
|Flight Engineer 2||Jeffrey Williams, NASA|
Launch, rendezvous and docking
Soyuz TMA-16M was launched successfully aboard a Soyuz-FG rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 19:42 UTC on Friday, 27 March 2015. The spacecraft reached low Earth orbit approximately nine minutes after lift-off. After executing rendezvous maneuvers, the Soyuz docked with the zenith port of the International Space Station's Poisk module approximately six hours after launch, at 01:33 UTC on 28 March. The docking occurred over Colombia.
Soyuz TMA-16M remained docked to the ISS—serving as an emergency escape vehicle–until September 12, 2015, when it departed and returned Padalka, Andreas Mogensen and Aydyn Aimbetov to Earth. This vehicle was previously scheduled to carry Sarah Brightman as a space tourist, but Brightman's flight was announced to be cancelled in May 2015.
Soyuz TMA-16M spacecraft was relocated from Poisk module to the orbiting laboratory’s Zvezda module service module on 28 August 2015. This cleared the Poisk module for the arrival of Soyuz TMA-18M.
Undocking and return to Earth
Soyuz TMA-16M undocked from the ISS at 21:29 UTC on 11 September 2015, containing Gennady Padalka of Roscosmos and visiting crew members Andreas Mogensen of ESA (European Space Agency) and Aidyn Aimbetov of the Kazakh Space Agency. Following a deorbit burn, the Soyuz spacecraft's descent module reentered the Earth's atmosphere. The crew landed safely in Kazakhstan at 00:51 UTC on 12 September 2015, just over three hours after departing the ISS.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soyuz TMA-16M.|
- Soyuz TMA-16M mission updates Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine Spaceflight101, 28 march 2015
- Clark, Stephen. "Live coverage: Crew ready to begin record-setting space mission". SpaceflightNow. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- NASA, Roscosmos Assign Veteran Crew to Yearlong Space Station Mission NASA, 2012-11-26.
- Планируемые полёты (in Russian). astronaut.ru. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- Agencia Espacial Europea. "Andreas Mogensen's mission name links cosmos and Earth". Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- TASS (22 June 2015). "Kazakhstani cosmonaut to fly to ISS in September in place of British singer Brightman".
- astronaut.ru (2013). "Орбитальные полёты".
- "Soyuz TMA-16M kicks off historic one year expedition". NASASpaceflight.com. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "One Year Crew Arrives at Station". NASA. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Brightman steps down from station flight". Spaceflightnow.com. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Soyuz Relocation". NASA. Retrieved 29 Aug 2015.
- "Soyuz Return to Earth". NASA. Retrieved 11 Sep 2015.