Spånga was an independent municipality until January 1, 1949 when most of it was merged with the City of Stockholm, with smaller portions of the area merging with Solna, Sundbyberg, and Sollentuna municipalities.
Spånga is home to the largest TV studio in Sweden run by NEP Group which has 3 studio in total there, shows including Idol 2020 have been filmed there. Due to Covid-19 Melodifestivalen is considering using the studios for 2021 to film all 6 editions instead of the nationwide tour.
Spånga elementary school has about 470 pupils today and there are grades 7 through 9. Spånga elementary school share premises with Spånga high school. This school also has a special course with boosted math and science subjects.
The following sports clubs are located in Spånga:
- "Spånga-Tensta". Stockholms Stad. Retrieved February 1, 2020.
- "Spånga kyrka". svenskakyrkan.se. Retrieved February 1, 2020.
- "Melodifestivalturnén i fara". Tramsfrans (in Swedish). 2020-09-29. Retrieved 2020-11-13.
- "Sweden considers Stockholm-based Melodifestivalen with no audience". wiwibloggs. 2020-08-05. Retrieved 2020-11-13.
- "Om skolan | Spånga gymnasium". spangagymnasium.stockholm.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 2020-05-09.
- Zachariasson, Helena (9 June 2018). "Allt du behöver veta om Järvaveckan". SVT NYHETER. Retrieved 23 April 2021.