SpaceUp is an open-attendance space exploration unconference, where participants decide the topics, schedule, and structure of the event. SpaceUps have been held on both West and East coasts, and in Houston. Common features of SpaceUps are an unconference/barcamp style schedule, Ignite talks, and a moonpie eating contest.
Topics from SpaceUp conferences include: discussion of newspace industry, how to get more people excited about space, and the future direction of NASA, ESA, CSA, JAXA.
The first SpaceUp was held at the San Diego Air & Space Museum on February 27–28, 2010. It was sponsored and organized by the San Diego Space Society. The 2-day event was covered by Spacevidcast and attended by representatives from NASA, Google Lunar X Prize, Masten Space Systems, and Quicklaunch. This event was organized by Chris Radcliff.
After several more successful events in the US, the SpaceUp concept crossed the Atlantic in September 2012, with the first SpaceUp unconference in Europe. It was organized by six dedicated space ambassadors at Europlanetarium Genk on 22 and 23 September 2012. SpaceUp Europe triggered several space enthusiasts to organize more European space unconferences, making the concept truly global. SpaceUp Stuttgart in Germany was held 27 October, followed by SpaceUp Poland in Warsaw on 24 and 25 November. SpaceUp London and Paris were held 2013. In December 2012 the concept rolled further East with the first event in Asia, SpaceUp India.
|February 27–28, 2010||SpaceUp San Diego||San Diego Air & Space Museum|
|August 27–28, 2010||SpaceUp DC||George Washington University|
|February 12–13, 2011||SpaceUp Houston||Lunar and Planetary Institute|
|February 12–13, 2011||SpaceUp San Diego||The Loft at UC San Diego|
|August 6–7, 2011||SpaceUp LA||Columbia Memorial Space Center|
|August 18–19, 2012||SpaceUp LA||University of Southern California|
|September 22–23, 2012||SpaceUp EU||Europlanetarium Genk|
|Oct 27, 2012||SpaceUp Stuttgart||Stuttgart, Germany|
|Nov 24–25, 2012||SpaceUp Poland||Warsaw, Poland|
|Dec 1, 2012||SpaceUp India||Bangalore, India|
|May 25–26, 2013||SpaceUp Paris||Paris, France, France|
|July 2013||SpaceUp Waterloo||Waterloo, Ontario, Canada|
|October 4–5, 2013||SpaceUp Denver||Denver, Colorado, United States of America|
|October 10, 2013||SpaceUp Barcelona||Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain|
|November 9–10, 2013||SpaceUp LA||Western Museum of Flight|
|September 20–21, 2014||SpaceUp Toulouse||Cité de l'espace, Toulouse, France, France|
|October 18, 2014||SpaceUp Sweden||Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden|
- SGAC Supports the First SpaceUP Un-Conference in Washington, DC – 09 August, 2010, Space Generation Advisory Council
- Space Frontier Foundation Sponsors SpaceUp DC, August 18, 2010, SpaceUp Frontier Foundation
- Cavanaugh, Maureen; Crook, Hank (25 February 2010). "Local Enthusiasts Discuss Future Of Space Exploration". kpbs.org. KPBS. Retrieved 21 July 2010.
- SEDS Encourages Students to Attend SpaceUp DC, August 25, 2010, Students for the Exploration and Development of Space
- SpaceUp Sweden – September 2014, Space Generation Advisory Council and Association of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- http://www.spaceup.org – Original SpaceUp website (for San Diego)
- SPACEUP UNCONFERENCES: A 21ST CENTURY GLOBAL APPROACH TO SPACE OUTREACH, presentation by Andreas Hornig at the 64th International Astronautical Congress 2013 in Beijing (YouTube)
- http://www.spaceupdc.org – SpaceUp DC site
- http://www.spaceuphouston.org – SpaceUp Houston
- http://spaceup.org/near-you/europe/ – SpaceUp Europe
- http://spaceupdenver.org – SpaceUp Denver
- http://www.spaceup.fr – SpaceUp France: Paris 2013, Toulouse 2014