Space (Ibiza nightclub)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- For the Miami nightclub, see Club Space
Space (//, Spanish: [esˈpeis], Catalan: [əsˈpejs]) is a nightclub on the island of Ibiza, Spain, owned by STANCA. It was awarded "Best Global Club" at the International Dance Music Awards in 2005, 2006, 2012, and again in 2013. Space is located in Playa d'en Bossa on the outskirts of Ibiza Town, close to the airport.
Space first opened in early summer, 1986. The opening night featured the opening of the water park Aguamar located behind the club, party-goers being able to take advantage of the waterslides at night.
Space in its current form began in 1989 when Pepe Rosello, Ibiza nightclub owner since 1963, took over the establishment, which in the four years since it was built had housed a conference hall with a discothèque. The opening policy agreed with Spanish licensing laws, which state that an establishment must close for at least two hours a day.
The first DJs to shape the venue into its current shape were Alex P and Brandon Block — two British club DJs/Producers and residents of Sunday Space Terrace — Space's outdoor terrace, where airliners roar overhead. This open terrace and the roaring sound of the airliners breaking through the booming dance music has become one of the club's defining features. Since Amnesia and Privilege have had to encase their open-air dance-floors due to noise complaints from their neighbours, Space remains one of the few venues where club-goers can have this experience, and the crowd's greeting of the arriving aircraft  has also become a ritual among the club's patrons.
Other resident DJs/producers responsible for the club's popularity include Reche, Jose de Divina and Jon Ulysses. And also Carl Cox during 15 years Space released compilations every year via the former Azuli label and now with CR2 Records.
"We Love Sundays"
Space's Flagship Sunday sessions began in 1999. We Love... Space is a weekly party which opens at 4.30 pm on Sunday and keeps going until 6 AM Monday morning. The event runs for 16 weeks throughout the summer season.
Following the closure of three of Ibiza's Clubs at the start of the 2007 season, local authorities have hinted at plans to alter the licensing regulations that allow clubs to open for 22 h per day. Suggestions at present would allow for clubs to open at noon. Clubs may not open before 8 a.m.
- BBC - Radio 1 - Ibiza
- Space Ibiza - the legendary venue in Playa d'en Bossa
- Been there | Ibiza Profile
- "Une dernière pour Carl Cox". DJ Mag (in French) (12). December 2015. p. 6. ISSN 2271-006X.
- IBIZA MUSIC AWARDS 1999 "Best Ibiza Club", ERICSSON MUZIK AWARDS 2000 "Best Ibiza Club", DANCESTAR AWARDS 2001 "Best Global Club", DANCESTAR AWARDS 2002 "Best Night Club – We love Sundays", DOS MUSIC AWARDS 2002 "Mejor matinal internacional", DJ MUSIC AWARDS 2003 "Outstanding Dedication Pepe Roselló", HOUSE MUSIC AWARDS 2005 "Best World Club", (IDMA) WINTER MUSIC CONFERENCE 2005 "Best Global Club", M8 IBIZA DANCE AWARDS 2006 "Best Ibiza Club", DJ MUSIC AWARDS 2006 "Best Ibiza night – Carl Cox Global at Space", BURN FG DJ AWARDS 2007 "Best Summer Club & City", DJ TOP 50 AWARDS 2007 "World’s Nº 1 Club", DJ MAGS 2009 "Best Club", A.M.C. RETRO Nit Retro III "Pepe Roselló", DEEJAYMAGS 2009 "Premio especial a los 20 años de Space Ibiza", DEEJAYMAGS 2010 "Best club".
- Ibiza dance clubs shut down over drug allegations | the Daily Mail
- "Totally undesirable" - Ibiza Council moves to ban after-hours clubbing
- The shape of things to come? Ibiza's new after-hours rules
- Space B. Camboriú Discloses its first image
- Space Ibiza Official Web Site
- Facebook Official Fan Page
- Space Ibiza ranked world's best club in 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Space Ibiza.|