Space (TV channel)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
- For the unrelated Latin American channel of the same name, see Space (Latin American TV channel).
|Launched||October 17, 1997|
|Owned by||Bell Media|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Slogan||It's all around you|
|Bell TV||Channel 627 (SD)
Channel 1746 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 528 (SD)
Channel 275 (HD)
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Channel number varies, check your local listings|
|FibreOP||Channel 209 (SD)
Channel 425 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 627 (SD)
Channel 1632 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 122 (SD)|
|Optik TV||Channel 9392 (SD)
Channel 392 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 72 (SD)
Channel 372 (HD)
Space is a Canadian Category A specialty channel owned and operated by Bell Media. It features science fiction, fantasy, horror, and paranormal programming including scripted television series, films, documentaries, and more. The network's original slogan was The Imagination Station and is still sometimes used informally by fans today.
The channel was licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) in 1996. It debuted on October 17, 1997 at 6:00 p.m. ET, under the ownership of CHUM Limited, airing the film Forbidden Planet, followed by a commentary on that film by author Robert J. Sawyer, followed by the film Mars Attacks!. The Sawyer commentary was the first example of the interstitial materials — mostly produced by Mark Askwith — that have become SPACE's signature: short, snappy, mini-documentaries on science fiction and science topics shown between programs, collectively known as "SPACE Flow". Daily installments include Space News (formerly SPIN, for "Space Information and News").
CTVglobemedia took over Space on June 22, 2007, as a result of a takeover of CHUM Limited. At the same time, the Citytv stations were sold to Rogers later that year. Ownership changed hands once again when on April 1, 2011, BCE Inc. gained 100% control of the assets that CTVglobemedia did not already own, placing Space under the ownership of Bell Media.
On July 6, 2011, Space launched Space HD, a high definition simulcast of the standard definition feed. It is currently available on several major television service providers including Eastlink, Bell TV, Bell Fibe TV, SaskTel, Shaw Cable, Rogers Cable, Vidéotron, and Telus TV.
On March 4, 2013, Space introduced a new logo and imaging campaign. The new look represents the increasing number of fantasy and "phenomenal" programs that the channel has aired in recent years by dropping the galactic imagery in favor of a new look featuring tangible, real-life images (as opposed to the galactic imagery of its previous brand)—but with a twist that shows the phenomenal factor of all the programming on the channel (emphasized by its new slogan, "It's all around you"). Through Bell Media's acquisition of Astral Media, Space is now co-owned with the French-language science-fiction channel, Ztélé.
On April 30, 2014, Space announced it would team up with Syfy, it's U.S-based counterpart, to produce a new adventure drama called Killjoys; marking the first time the two networks have co-operated to produce an original series.  Syfy also has a relationship with the Shaw Media-owned Showcase. A number of Showcase original series have been picked up by the network, while many of Syfy's series have aired on Showcase.
- The Twelve Days of Space-mas: Twelve days of marathons, either of popular Space programs or of similarly themed science-fiction or fantasy movies. This usually includes the Doctor Who Christmas Special on Christmas Day.
- The Spacey Awards: Space presents its own awards called the Spacey Awards to the best in sci-fi, fantasy and horror films, television series, and video games. Some of the awards are voted on by viewers and the others by Space.
- Santa Claus Conquers the Martians: For several years at Christmas, Space aired Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.
Current and First-run shows
- Doctor Who
- Face Off
- Orphan Black
- Paranormal Witness
- Scare Tactics
- Viral Video Showdown
Past and Re-run shows
- InnerSPACE (formerly The Circuit) - Space's flagship show, InnerSPACE is a daily entertainment talk show that covers film, television, video games, technology, comic books, gadgets, and all things genre. Hosted by Ajay Fry, Morgan Hoffman and Teddy Wilson.
- Behind the Scenes - A look at the creation and bringing to life of various sci-fi series and specials, features interviews with writers, editors, stars and others
- Fanboy Confessional - An celebration of geek and nerd cultures. Each episode focuses on an individual group such as LARP, Furry, Steampunk, and Real-life superhero.
- HypaSpace - News and information as well as the latest gossip from the entertainment industry, specifically science fiction and fantasy genres
- It Came From The Basement! - A look at people's eclectic collections of sci fi related material
- Shadow Hunter - A series that focuses on the paranormal as seen by a ghost hunter (hosted by Darryll Walsh)
- Shelf Space - A look at and interviews with authors of science fiction, fantasy, comic books, and science fact
- The SpaceBar - Late night movie "host segments" wrapped around a science-fiction movie, vaguely reminiscent of Mystery Science Theater 3000
- Space Interstitials
- SpaceNews - News tidbits relating to space, NASA, CSA, and Earth-based satellites
- Space Top 10 Countdown - Space counts down what’s hot and what’s caught our attention in genre film and television, from superheroes, movie villains, aliens, and killer cyborgs. Hosted by Space on-air personalities Kim Poirier and Jonathan Llyr.
- SPACE HD to Launch July 6
- "Bell Media's Space gets a new look". Marketing Magazine. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- From producers of Space's hit original clone drama ORPHAN BLACK and the creator of LOST GIRL