Space Cadets (game show)
|Presented by||Greg Proops|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
|Original network||Channel 4|
|Original release||15 July– 16 September 1997|
Space Cadets is a British comedy panel game broadcast on Channel 4 in 1997. It was presented by "High Commander" Greg Proops with Bill Bailey and Craig Charles as the "Space Captains" (captains of the two teams). It ran for just one series with 10 episodes.
Like the BBC's Have I Got News for You, the contestants were celebrities and the show was played mainly for laughs. Bestselling author Terry Pratchett once appeared as a guest. When the contestants were asked who was Britain's most shoplifted author, Pratchett immediately answered "I am!" which was the correct answer.
Opening sequence text
The following text appeared on the screen in the opening title sequence (over footage of Charles, Bailey and Proops): 3 Cosmic Comics, On A Journey From Planet Mirth To Do Battle Against The Weird, The Unthinkable, The Unknown. They Are Space Cadets.
These are only some of the rounds used on the show. It is unknown if any other rounds were played in episodes 8–10.
- Doctor, Who Am I? has each team captain standing center stage and being "morphed" into a character that may or may not be related to sci-fi. They then ask their teammates questions which can only be answered with "negative" or "affirmative" in order to decipher their "new identities".
- Space Oddities has each member of a team giving explanations of what they think a given object is, with only one being right. The opposing team must guess which is correct.
- The War of The Words is like Film Dub on Whose Line Is It Anyway?, but with a sci-fi clip.
- What Happens Next? has each team guessing what happens next in a sci-fi film shown to them.
- Photon Photos has the teams guessing what is happening in a still photo and what movie it is from.
- How Did They Get Out of That? has each team watching a clip of sci-fi characters in peril and must guess how the characters get out of peril.
- Mind Your Klingon has Proops giving a phrase in the Klingon language and the players must translate the phrase into English.
- Final All-Comers Trivia Scan has Proops asking the teams sci-fi trivia questions until time runs out.
The coloured backgrounds denote the result of each of the shows:
- -- indicates Craig's team won
- -- indicates Bill's team won
|Episode||Air Date||Craig's Guests||Craig's Team Name||Bill's Guests||Bill's Team Name||Score|
|01x01||15 July 1997||Kim Newman and Ford Kiernan||Meteors||Hattie Hayridge and William Shatner||Comets|
|01x02||22 July 1997||Sara Cox and Walter Koenig||Blobs||John Moloney and Claudia Christian||Things||
|01x03||29 July 1997||Ford Kiernan and Sophie Aldred||Omegas||Fred MacAulay and Sylvester McCoy||Alphas||
|01x04||5 August 1997||Trevor Neal and Armin Shimerman||Quarks||Simon Hickson and Max Grodénchik||Roms||
|01x05||12 August 1997||Ford Kiernan and William Shatner||Leias||Angela Rippon and Bruce Dickinson||Lukes|
|01x06||19 August 1997||Ben Miller and Kim Newman||Stingrays||Gareth Thomas and Alexander Armstrong||Thunderbirds||
|01x07||26 August 1997||Felix Dexter and Ed Bishop||Astronauts||Ronni Ancona and Rob Grant||Cosmonauts||
|01x08||2 September 1997||Terry Pratchett and Fred MacAulay||???||Elaine C. Smith and Sylvester McCoy||???||
|01x09||9 September 1997||Claudia Christian and Ed Byrne||Morks||Robert Llewellyn and Susan Moore||Mindys||
|01x10||16 September 1997||Tricia Sullivan and Kevin Day||Vulcans||John Moloney and Chloë Annett||Klingons||
- For this episode the score was not revealed as Proops let Shatner's team win