|Platform(s)||Mobile phone, J2ME, Symbian S60, N-Gage Classic/QD, N-Gage 2.0|
|Genre(s)||Shoot 'em up|
The first Space Impact appeared on the Nokia 3310 in 2000 and it later came with other devices too, including Nokia 3410, 5510 and 6310. The Nokia 3310's WAP enhanced versions (3330 and 3350) and the Nokia 3410 versions gave the possibility to download extra Space Impact chapters via the phone's WAP connection (the service called Nokia Club).
A Space Impact-themed Xpress-on cover was released for devices including Nokia 3410.
Space Impact is a shoot 'em up game and the player has the ability to freely move horizontally and vertically (with a few exceptions on some platform-like levels in Space Impact+) but cannot increase the speed of the screen's auto-scrolling feature. The player can collect power-ups throughout the levels, which award extra lives or special weapons.
Sequels for the original game later appeared:
- Space Impact 2, which debuted on Nokia 3510
- Space Impact+ which first came with Nokia 1100
- Space Impact 303, available as a downloadable J2ME applet for certain devices, starting with Nokia 7210
- Space Impact Evolution, specifically made for the Symbian S60 1st Edition platform, which first appeared on Nokia 7650
- Space Impact Evolution X, the sequel, which had two versions: one bundled exclusively with the N-Gage Classic and the N-Gage QD (on the "Extras" folder of the Support CD) and another made for Symbian S60 2nd Edition devices.
- Space Impact Light, released for Symbian S60 3rd Edition. Its demo came bundled with the Nokia N81 8GB released in October 2007.
- Space Impact: Kappa Base, released on the N-Gage 2.0 platform in 2008.
- Space Impact: Meteor Shield, developed by Rovio and released first for Nokia N97 in 2010, and the first game in the series to feature 3D graphics.
The original Space Impact is well remembered as one of the games of the popular Nokia 3310 handset. In 2010, CNET put it in its top 10 'greatest mobile games of all time', and said that it pushed the boundaries in what was possible on a mobile device.
- "Nokia 6310: sore thumbs".
- GSMONLINE.PL. "Nokia 3330 - oficjalny komunikat".
- "3410 Space Impact II". www.nokiamuseum.com.
- "The 10 greatest mobile games of all time". 4 November 2010.
- "Nokia 3510 review - S21". www.s21.com.
- "Space Impact+ Reviews, News, Descriptions, Walkthrough and System Requirements :: Game Database - SocksCap64".
- balky. "Nokia N-Gage, Recenzie, GamesWeb.sk". gamesweb.sk.
- 烽火连城, indienova.com. "Space Impact Evolution X - indienova GameDB 游戏库". indienova.com.
- "Nokia announces availability of 8GB N81 gaming phone".
- Buchanan, Levi (29 August 2007). "Space Impact Kappa Base Peek".
- "Nokia N-Gage - Space Impact: Kappa Base Game Review ~ goldfries". 22 August 2008.
- "Space Impact: Meteor Shield is out!". 24 February 2010.
- "Space Impact Meteor Shield launched!".
- "O.G. Nokia Mobile Classic 'Space Impact' Will Not Be Left Behind - Now Available for iOS". 18 April 2013.
- "The iconic Nokia 3310 set to be relaunched".
- "Life before Smartphones – The Golden Age of Nokia 3310 - Edunation". 8 June 2017.