This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Launched||March 27, 2000 (Arabic channel)|
March 23, 2005 (Indonesian channel)
|Owned by||Spacetoon International|
|Picture format||576i (4:3/16:9 SDTV)|
|Slogan||Young Future Channel (Saluran Masa Depan)|
|Country||United Arab Emirates, Syria|
|Language||Arabic (Arab world) Indonesian (Indonesia)|
|Broadcast area||Arab world|
|Sister channel(s)||Spacetoon 2|
Space Power (SPTV)
|Timeshift service||NET. 09.22-12.33 WIB (2005-2013)|
KTV Jakarta (2018-present)
|Jakarta||28 UHF (Mulai KTV Jakarta)|
|3732 H 4160 ¾|
(Arab world version)
|11785 V 27500 ¾|
|Foxtel (Australia)||Channel 59|
|eLife (UAE)||Channel 310|
|DU (UAE)||Channel 351|
|Omantel (Oman)||Channel 86|
|OSN (MENA Region)||Channel 370|
Spacetoon (سبيستون or سبيس تون) is an Arabic television channel that specializes in animation and children programs. It began broadcasting in March 2000 with headquarters in Damascus and Dubai.
The main Indonesian channel began airing on March 23, 2005 in Jakarta, it later became NET. and its broadcast remains on satellite television. Currently there are three Spacetoon channels in Indonesia, Spacetoon, Space Shopping and Spacetoon Plus. In India, Spacetoon India exists as licensing company, but not as a separate TV channel. In South Korea, Spacetoon launched in 2005 but has since closed down.
In 1999, Bahrain Radio and Television Corporation officially signed an agreement to broadcast a children's cartoon channel. On March 27, 2000, Spacetoon officially launched, but as a six-hour bloc. It remained for two years, until January 2002 when the contract ended, according to a statement issued by the Ministry. Later, Spacetoon was established as an independent channel.
In Indonesia, Spacetoon officially launched on March 23, 2005. The station was founded by H. Sukoyo, a former TV7 executive. When it was launched, Spacetoon broadcast on 6 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. WIB. Later broadcast timings were extended from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. WIB. When programming ended, a 10 minute section filled with animation, songs, and messages for kids was shown. On mid-2011, due to financial problems, Spacetoon began broadcasting some home-shopping program and alternative medicine program.
On March 2013, 95% of Spacetoon ownership stakes were acquired by NET. Finally on May 18, 2013, Spacetoon officially closed for terrestrial to make way for NET. on terrestrial network, while Spacetoon broadcast in Indonesia still remains on satellite television. On September 2014, Spacetoon divided into two channels: Spacetoon and Spacetoon 2. Spacetoon 2 broadcasts more cartoon and animation than Spacetoon although still broadcasts some home-shopping programs. In May 2016, Spacetoon added another channel, Spacetoon 3. It had clearer audio than Spacetoon and Spacetoon 2, but was closed down on October of the same year. On November 2016, Spacetoon 2 was officially renamed as Space Shopping. The reason was home shopping programmes having way much revenue on the channel, which itself had little income. Currently, Spacetoon has three channels in Indonesia: Spacetoon, Space Shopping, and Spacetoon Plus.
Each of the programs aired were divided in blocks, called "planets", one for each genre:
- Action (Planet of excitement and mystery) for action series.
- Adventure (Planet of imagination and thrill) for adventure series.
- Comedy (Planet of laughter) for comedy series.
- Alpha (Planet of numbers and letters) for educational programs.
- Bon Bon (Planet of great heroes) for pre-school programs.
- History (Planet of time inmemorial) for the historical series.
- Movies (Planet of all colors) for animated movies.
- Science (Planet of discovery and knowledge) for educational programs.
- Sport (Planet of challenge and strength) of the sports series and programs.
- Zomoruda (means "emerald" in Arabic, planet for girls only) for series and programs for girls.
Programming of the Arab branch
- Doraemon (2005 anime) ( 7 March 2016–present)
- The Fairly OddParents
- Masha and the Bear
- Yo-kai Watch (4 September 2016 – present)
- "Spacetoon Store | Toys in Saudi Arabia | COPYRIGHT COMPLIANCE POLICY". store.spacetoon.com. Archived from the original on 2019-03-16. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Banks, Miranda; Conor, Bridget; Mayer, Vicki (3 July 2015). "Production Studies, The Sequel!: Cultural Studies of Global Media Industries". Routledge – via Google Books.
- "Spacetoon International - Middle East & Dubai Global Headquarter". 16 February 2008. Archived from the original on 16 February 2008.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Joe Khalil; Marwan M. Kraidy (November 12, 2009). Arab Television Industries. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 162. ISBN 978-1-84457-576-3.
- Sunarto (2009). Televisi, kekerasan, dan perempuan (in Indonesian). Penerbit Buku Kompas. p. 96. ISBN 978-979-709-415-7.
- "Spacetoon International - Korea Area of Operation". 6 September 2008. Archived from the original on 6 September 2008.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Spacetoon, ALC Announce New Broadcast and Licensing Deals for MENA". Animation World Network. March 29, 2016.
- "دورايمون باللغة العربية لأطفال العرب". مجلة سيدتي (in Arabic). 2 March 2016. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "مواعيد البرامج - سبيستون". spacetoon.com.
- "بدأت بثها التجريبي مطلع الشهر الجاري . مستثمرون سعوديون ويابانيون يدشنون قناة مفتوحة للأطفال في البحرين". daharchives.alhayat.com. Al-Hayat. 6 March 2000. Retrieved 30 June 2017.