Spanish–Turkish relations are foreign relations between the Kingdom of Spain and the Republic of Turkey. Spain has an embassy in Ankara and a consulate general in Istanbul. Turkey has an embassy in Madrid and a consulate general in Barcelona.
During the 16th century, Habsburg Spain and the Ottoman Empire fought for supremacy in the Mediterranean.  A highlight was the battle of Lepanto where the Spanish-led fleet (allied with the Republic of Venice and the Papal States) won over the Ottoman fleet. In North Africa, the Spanish actions against the Barbary Pirates (Ottoman allies) were not successful for long.
During this time, the Ottomans welcomed many Sephardi Jews and Conversos, fleeing from religious persecution in Spain, who introduced the Gutenberg press and theater, and supported a failed Morisco revolt. The silver brought from Spanish America caused massive inflation in Spain, that extended to the rest of Europe and even the Ottoman Empire.
Turkey and Spain are both members of the Council of Europe, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the Union for the Mediterranean.
The Joint Action Plan signed between Turkey and Spain on July 22, 1998 established the framework of the bilateral relations between the two countries.
Around 75 Turkish firms operate in Spain. The Turkish investments in Spain reached $143 million in the period of 2002-2015.
- Ottoman-Spanish Economic Relations in the 16th century
- Hüseyin Serdar Tabakoğlu The Re-Establishment Of Ottoman-Spanish Relations In 1782, Turkish Studies, Volume 2/3, Summer 2007
- Turkey´s Political Relations with Spain / Rep. of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Article by H.E. Ahmet Davutoğlu published in El Pais Newspaper (Spain) on 16.11.2009
- International Trade Centre
- Turkey is not turning its back on the West
- Spanish Investors Continue To Bolster Turkey's Foreign Investment Relations
- İspanyol turist istikrarlı (Turkish)
- Turkish embassy in Madrid
- Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs about relations with Spain
- Spain-Turkey Civic Forum. Reinforcing bilateral relations for a common european vision
|This Spain-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Turkey-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|