Spalding Professor of Eastern Religion and Ethics
The Spalding Professor of Eastern Religion and Ethics is the holder of an endowed chair at the University of Oxford. The Spalding Chair of Eastern Religions and Ethics was established on a trial basis in 1936 with a grant from the Spalding Trust. In 1937 the chair was renewed for a period of 15 years, and in 1949 the trust gave the university a permanent endowment to fund the chair.
List of Spalding Professors
Holders of the Spalding Chair to date have been:
- 1936 to 1952: Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- 1952 to 1974: R. C. Zaehner
- 1976 to 1991: Bimal Krishna Matilal
- 1992 to 2015: Alexis Sanderson
- 2016 to present: Diwakar Nath Acharya
- Hulmes, Edward (2002). The Spalding Trust and the Union for the Study of the Great Religions: H.N. Spalding's Pioneering Vision. Spennymoor, England: Memoir Club. ISBN 1841040401.
|This United Kingdom university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|