|Products||Grocery stores, convenience stores, discount stores, hypermarkets and more|
|Revenue||€31.1 billion (2011)|
Spar (Dutch pronunciation: [spɑr]), trademarked as SPAR, is a Dutch multinational retail chain and franchise with approximately 12,500 stores in 35 countries worldwide. It was founded in the Netherlands in 1932 by retailer Adriaan van Well. Through its affiliate organisations, Spar operates through most European countries, parts of Africa, Asia and Oceania. Its headquarters are in Amsterdam.
The name was originally DE SPAR, an acronym of the Dutch phrase Door Eendrachtig Samenwerken Profiteren Allen Regelmatig (English: through united co-operation everyone regularly profits). De Spar is Dutch for "The spruce", hence Spar's logo. As the organisation expanded across Europe, the name was abbreviated by dropping "DE".
Spar is also the root of the verb which means "to save [money]" in some Germanic (among them German) and Scandinavian languages.
There are some international naming variants:
- In Italy, the name is still Despar, though in keeping with the international branding, the "Spar" section of the logo is highlighted, and the larger stores are still called Eurospar and Interspar. In Austria, Despar is Spar's Italian food store brand.
- In Japan some stores operate under the name Hotspar, although the store logo colouring remains unchanged.
Spar was founded in 1932 in the Dutch town of Zegwaart (now Zoetermeer). In 1953 an International Spar office opened in Amsterdam to control and further develop the organisation throughout Europe and other continents. Most Spar stores are in Europe, but they can also be found in a few countries outside of Europe, such as Nigeria, South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Swaziland, Australia, Mauritius, China, India, Japan, Vanuatu, Greenland and Angola.
A Spar store may be owned independently, by a franchisee, or be part of a chain, depending on the model applied in any given country. The owners of the parent company vary from country to country and may include the store owners themselves. The name and the current logo was most recently revised in 1968 by Raymond Loewy and has remained unchanged ever since.
In the United Kingdom Spar has become known primarily as a convenience store, although in Northern Ireland Spar operates using the subformat Eurospar as well. Spar opened in the Republic of Vanuatu on 1 December 2009 ending Au Bon Marché's grocery monopoly.
The Dutch Spar is a member of Superunie, an inventory purchasing organization for a number of otherwise unaffiliated supermarket brands.
In July 2014 SPAR Group South Africa opened its first supermarket in Angola. In August 2014 the group acquired 80% of the BWG Group, which had outlets in Ireland and southwest England.
The first Spar store in Oman was inaugurated in January 2015 in Muscat. SPAR Oman plans more stores to open in the coming months as part of its expansion plans in Oman.
In March 2015 the first three stores in Indonesia have been opened. It is planned to open 12 stores until end of 2015 in the country.
In most but not all countries, Spar operates stores of different types and sub-brands include in India.
The Eurospar name is used for this format in Europe and Superspar in South Africa. These are mid-sized supermarkets. They are designed to fit in a niche between convenience stores and traditional supermarkets.
- Spar Express
This is the smallest store type. They are designed for small sites and filling station forecourts. They are called Kwikspar in South Africa.
- Spar Drive-Thru
- Spar Gourmet
Some small Spar stores in Austria are called Spar Gourmet since the Austrian Spar Group took over the supermarket chains Julius Meinl in 2000. The standard range is extended to local and global delicacies.
- "Mijn buurt, mijn Spar" (My neighborhood, my Spar) Is the new slogan since 2014
International statistics (2011)
|Country||Sales (in 1000s)||No. of stores||Sales area (m²)||Sales per area||Average store
|Angola||€40,838||1||The Spar Group Ltd|
|Belgium||€813,500||291||137,743||€5,905/m²||473||Colruyt and Lambrechts|
|Botswana||€97,506||26||23,249||€4,193/m²||894||The Spar Group Ltd.|
|Italy||€3,855,662||1,549||831,423||€4,637/m²||537||10 licence partners|
|Namibia||€127,706||27||27,670||€4,615/m²||1,025||The Spar Group Ltd.|
|Nigeria||€22,167||2||5,414||€4,094/m²||2,707||Artee Nigeria Ltd|
|South Africa*||€4,628,469||875||874,810||€5,290/m²||1,085||The Spar Group Ltd.
|Switzerland||€455,094||169||69,838||€6,516/m²||426||SPAR Handels AG|
|United Kingdom||€3,189,273||2,504||357,860||€8,912/m²||143||Spar (UK) Limited|
* Including stores (4) in Swaziland.
- "SPAR corporate nationality - SPAR". Spar.ie. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "SPAR Countries - SPAR". Spar-int.com. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Contact Information - SPAR". Spar-int.com. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Dutch pronunciation: [doːr eːnˈdrɑxtɪx ˈsaːmə(n)ʋɛrkə(n) proːfiˈteːrə(n) ˈɑlə(n) reːɣəlˈmaːtəx]
- "Englisch-Deutsch Wörterbuch". LEO. Retrieved 2015-03-01.
- "DESPAR" (in German). SPAR Österreich. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- http://wotnews.com.au/like/spar_australia_opens_first_vanuatu_store_aus/4338574/[dead link]
- "Cool Nordic". YouTube. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- "SPAR". Raymond Loewy Foundation. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Mark Allix (2014-08-12). "Spar buys stake in Irish supermarkets | Retail & Consumer". BDlive. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- Eric Pfanner (2004-11-12). "An international grocery giant is emerging from the shadows - The New York Times". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- "SPAR to open 24 more hypermarkets in next two years". Sify.com. 28 January 2011. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Boulder Brands CEO Stephen Hughes (3 February 2011). "Spar looks to expand Czech supermarket chain". Just-food.com. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Northern Ireland Assembly Information Office. "Northern Ireland Assembly Committee for Social Development - Inquiry into Town Centre Regeneration Report: 14/09/10R". Archive.niassembly.gov.uk. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- derStandard.at (24 February 2008). "Chronologie: Von Konsum bis Rewe - Handel - derStandard.at " Wirtschaft". Derstandard.at. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Own a SPAR". SPAR. Retrieved 2015-02-26.
- "Spar UK Limited". Opencompany.co.uk. Retrieved 17 April 2014.