|Founder||Donna (Sokolsky) Burke and Chris Hempel|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA, USA|
Number of employees
Spark Public Relations is a public relations and integrated marketing communications agency headquartered in San Francisco, California, with offices in New York City. The firm focuses on the technology and consumer markets.
Spark Public Relations was founded in 1999 by Donna Sokolsky Burke and Chris Hempel, who started the firm after working at Netscape. Its early clients were Silicon Valley start-ups and former Netscape colleagues. It signed one-year contracts to help with startup launches and IPOs, in exchange for equity in the company. It supported VA Linux's IPO in December 1999.
A price comparison website, Shopping.com's hired Spark in 2004. The following year, it began supporting Yahoo.com and MyYahoo. In 2007, it founded SPR Europe, a London-based affiliate for the European market. An office was opened in South Africa in 2008 and in New York in 2012.
In 2015, Spark announced its suite of services called Agile Narrative with the hiring of Tobin Trevarthen as Chief Narrative Officer. In 2016, Spark hired Stowe Boyd as Head of Research in order to support these efforts.
Spark's co-founder Donna Sokolsky Burke has been named one of the Top Women in PR by PR News in 2016.
- "Winners of the 2012 Bulldog Digital/Social PR Awards for Outstanding Achievement by Agencies and Individuals in PR and Corporate Communications" (PDF). Bulldog Reporter. January 14, 2013.
- Boutin, P. (November, 1999), "Lack of Flacks", WIRED Magazine, Vol. 7, Issue 11. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- Clarkson, B. (March 14, 2001). "P.R. agents to startups: Keep quiet!". Computerworld. Retrieved October 23, 2009.
- . August 16, 2003 http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=SJ&s_site=mercurynews&p_multi=SJ&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0FD0789441B1BA81&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Missing or empty
- "A Tiny Company Without Profits Goes Public With a Bang". The New York Times.
- "Our Story". Sparkpr.
- Gordon, Andrew (February 2, 2004). "Sparkpr to deliver Shopping.com to a broader audience". PRWeek. Retrieved November 11, 2008.
- Gordon, Andrew (October 13, 2004). "Yahoo selects Spark for 'front door' assignments". PRWeek. Retrieved December 1, 2008.
- "SparkPR Expands to London". PRWeek. July 30, 2007. Retrieved November 20, 2008.
- Shah, Aarti. "Sparkpr opens South Africa office, adds clients". PRWeek. Retrieved December 1, 2008.
- Krietsch, Beth (April 26, 2012). "SparkPR opens New York office". PRWeek. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- "Sparkpr Rolls Out "Agile Narrative" Services, Brings On Chief Narrative Officer". www.holmesreport.com. Retrieved 2016-12-14.
- Sparkpr. "Spark Hires First Chief Narrative Officer, Toby Trevarthen". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2016-12-14.
- Spark. "Spark Welcomes Futurist Stowe Boyd as Head of Research". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2016-12-14.
- "Celebrate the 2017 Top Women in PR honorees Jan. 24 in NYC!". PR News. Retrieved 2016-12-14.