This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|OS family||Linux (Unix-like)|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||5 May 2012|
|Latest release||(Rolling release) / 6.0 , 19 August 2021|
|Update method||APT (front-ends available)|
|Package manager||dpkg (front-ends available)|
|Platforms||IA-32, x86-64, ARM|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|LXQt, MATE and Xfce|
|License||Mainly GPL and other free software licenses, minor additions of proprietary|
SparkyLinux is a desktop-oriented operating system based on the Debian operating system. The project offers a ready to use operating system with a set of various customised lightweight desktops to choose from. SparkyLinux is released 3-4 times per year to provide the latest versions of all applications.
The project was born on October, 2011 as an Ubuntu remix with Enlightenment as the default desktop having the name ue17r (Ubuntu Enlightenment17 Remix). After a few months of testing, the base system was changed to Debian and it was renamed to SparkyLinux.
SparkyLinux is based on "stable" and "testing" branch of Debian and uses 'rolling-release-cycle' (testing based only). It includes a collection of tools and scripts to help users with easy administration of the system.
As Sparky iso image features a few proprietary packages, the 'Sparky APTus' provides a small tool called 'Non-Free Remover' which can easily uninstall all 'contrib' and 'non-free' packages from the system.
- GameOver Edition, targeted to gamers. It features a large set of free and open-source games and some needed tools;
- Rescue Edition, provides a live system and a large number of applications for recovering broken operating systems;
- Multimedia for audio, video and html pages creating;
- MinimalCLI and MinimalGUI.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SparkyLinux.|
- An Everyday Linux User Review Of SparkyLinux Gameover Edition, Everyday Linux User, October 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.5, DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 581, 20 October 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.5 (E18) Review – Lightweight, Comes with Lots of Apps, But a Bit Buggy, Hectic Geek, 11 October 2014
- Reach Unlimited, Review Sept. 30, 2014
- SparkyLinux GameOver Is a Winning Work-Play Combo, LinuxInsider, 20 August 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.4 GameOver -- a Linux distro for gamers, BetaNews, 8 July 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.2 Xfce Review, The Navy Christian, February 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.1 LXDE - Archaic and modern, Dedoimedo, 30 December 2013
- Everyday Linux User review of SparkyLinux 3.1 Razor-Qt Edition, Everyday Linux User, 26 November 2013
- First look at SparkyLinux 2.1 "Ultra" edition, DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 495, 18 February 2013
- Sparkylinux 2.1 “Ultra” Review: Lightweight, fast and elegant Openbox distro for low spec computers!, mylinuxexplore, 4 February 2013
- Sparky on OpenSourceFeed Gallery