This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
SparkyLinux 4 "Tyche" LXDE
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||5 May 2012|
|Latest release||(Rolling release) / Installation DVD SparkyLinux 5.3 "Nibiru"|
SparkyLinux 4.8 / 13 May 2018
|Latest preview||4.8 RC / 12 April 2018|
|Update method||APT (front-ends available)|
|Package manager||dpkg (front-ends available)|
|Platforms||IA-32, x86-64, ARM|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||Enlightenment, JWM, Openbox, KDE, LXDE, LXQt, MATE and Xfce|
|License||Mainly GPL and other free software licenses, minor additions of proprietary|
SparkyLinux is a desktop-oriented operating system based on the Debian operating system. The project offers ready to use operating system with a set of various customized lightweight desktops to choose.
The project was born on October, 2011 as an Ubuntu remix with Enlightenment as the default desktop having the name ue17r (Ubuntu Enlightenment17 Remix). After a few months of testing, the base system has been changed to Debian and it was renamed to SparkyLinux.
SparkyLinux is based on "stable" and "testing" branch of Debian and uses 'rolling-release-cycle' (testing based only). It includes a collection of tools and scripts to help users with easy administration of the system.
The default desktop environment is LXDE but users can download and install other Sparky versions with desktops such as Budgie (under development), Enlightenment, JWM, Openbox, KDE, LXQt, MATE or Xfce. There is a CLI (text based) edition for advanced users as well.
SparkyLinux offers a special gaming edition "GameOver" targeted to gamers. It features a large set of free and open-source games and some needed tools.
Another special edition of SparkyLinux Rescue provides a live system and a large number of applications for recovering broken operating systems.
As of Sparky 4.3 features the "MinimalGUI" and "MinimalCLI" editions (renamed "Base Openbox" and "CLI") which provides the Sparky Advanced Installer which lets the users install one of 20 about different desktops of their choice.
As Sparky iso image features a few proprietary packages, the 'Sparky APTus' provides a small tool called 'Non-Free Remover' which can easy uninstall all 'contrib' and 'non-free' packages from the system.
SparkyLinux is released 3-4 times per year to provide the latest versions of all applications.
|Red||Release no longer supported|
|Green||Release still supported|
|1.0||Venus||2012-05-05||SparkyLinux 1 Final|
|2.0||Eris||2012-10-12||SparkyLinux 2.0 Eris|
|4.9||Tyche||2018-11-11||Sparky Linux 4.9|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SparkyLinux.|
- "SparkyLinux Team".
- "Release Notes: SparkyLinux 5.3".
- Sparky 4.8 | SparkyLinux
- Sparky 4.8 RC | SparkyLinux
- About SparkyLinux | SparkyLinux
- "Sparky 4.9 celebrates 100 years of Poland's Independence | SparkyLinux". sparkylinux.org. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- An Everyday Linux User Review Of SparkyLinux Gameover Edition, Everyday Linux User, October 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.5, DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 581, 20 October 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.5 (E18) Review – Lightweight, Comes with Lots of Apps, But a Bit Buggy, Hectic Geek, 11 October 2014
- Reach Unlimited, Review Sept. 30, 2014
- SparkyLinux GameOver Is a Winning Work-Play Combo, LinuxInsider, 20 August 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.4 GameOver -- a Linux distro for gamers, BetaNews, 8 July 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.2 Xfce Review, The Navy Christian, February 2014
- SparkyLinux 3.1 LXDE - Archaic and modern, Dedoimedo, 30 December 2013
- Everyday Linux User review of SparkyLinux 3.1 Razor-Qt Edition, Everyday Linux User, 26 November 2013
- SparkyLinux 3.6, Heise.de, October 2013
- SparkyLinux 2.1: Debian Testing en cinco minutos, La Sombra Del Helicoptero, 15 April 2013
- Mit Desura und Steam vorinstalliert: SparkyLinux 2.1 “GameOver”, BITblokes, 28 March 2013
- First look at SparkyLinux 2.1 "Ultra" edition, DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 495, 18 February 2013
- Sparkylinux 2.1 “Ultra” Review: Lightweight, fast and elegant Openbox distro for low spec computers!, mylinuxexplore, 4 February 2013
- SparkyLinux à tester sans installer, jetestelinux.com, 1 February 2013
- Linux für Zocker: SparkyLinux 2.0.1 – Mit Desura- und Steam-Client, BITblokes, 20 December 2012