Dover Township, Otsego County, Michigan
|Dover Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.3 sq mi (91.3 km2)|
|• Land||35.2 sq mi (91.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,145 ft (349 m)|
|• Density||17.4/sq mi (6.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||49735 (Gaylord),
|GNIS feature ID||1626190|
- Sparr is an unincorporated community in the southern part of the township at on F-44 approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) east of Gaylord. It was a station on the Boyne City, Gaylord and Alpena Railroad. It was named for Philip Sparr, who settled here in 1873. A post office operated from May 5, 1915 until February 15, 1932.  The Sparr mall is the past home of Smokey and Pokey the bears. Every year, there is a large pig roast held in Sparr. This local attraction lasts the whole weekend and draws in campers from all over northern Michigan.
- The city of Gaylord is to the west-southwest, and the Gaylord post office with ZIP code 49735 also serves most of Dover Township.
- The community of Johannesburg is to the southeast, and the Johannesburg post office with ZIP code 49751 also serves a small portion of southeast Dover Township.
- The village of Vanderbilt is to the northwest, and the Vanderbilt post office with ZIP code 49795 also serves a small area in northern dover Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.3 square miles (91 km2), of which, 35.2 square miles (91 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.11%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 614 people, 214 households, and 163 families residing in the township. The population density was 17.4 per square mile (6.7/km²). There were 368 housing units at an average density of 10.5 per square mile (4.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.53% White, 0.49% Native American, 0.33% Asian, and 0.65% from two or more races.
There were 214 households out of which 42.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.3% were married couples living together, 5.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.4% were non-families. 20.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.26.
In the township the population was spread out with 31.1% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 30.6% from 25 to 44, 23.0% from 45 to 64, and 8.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 111.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 112.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $45,000, and the median income for a family was $48,036. Males had a median income of $31,458 versus $26,042 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,739. About 4.1% of families and 6.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.0% of those under age 18 and 13.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Dover Township, Otsego County, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Sparr, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Sparr Post Office (historical)
- 49735 5-Digit ZCTA, 497 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49751 5-Digit ZCTA, 497 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49795 5-Digit ZCTA, 497 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census