Sparrow (target missile)
The Sparrow (Hebrew: אנקור, pronounced [ankor]) target missile is an Israeli medium-range air-launched ballistic missile produced by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems. The missile is currently used as a target missile to test the Arrow anti-ballistic missile system. The missile has a modular warhead section and is capable of carrying a high-explosive warhead.
There are three versions of the missile: Black Sparrow, Blue Sparrow, and Silver Sparrow. The Silver Sparrow version is designed to simulate Iranian Shahab-3 class ballistic missiles with a 1,500-2,000 km range.
The Silver Sparrow version was first tested on September 2, 2013. The launch from the Mediterranean was detected by a Russian ballistic missile early warning radar at Armavir, followed by Israeli acknowledgement of the test over an hour later.
Another reported test took place out on September 9, 2014 with a Sparrow missile fired from the central part of the Mediterranean, being detected by the Armavir Radar Station.
- Daniel Estrin (September 3, 2013). "Israel and US test Sparrow missile in Mediterranean". Christian Science Monitor. Associated Press.
- Jim Miklaszewski, Courtney Kube and Alastair Jamieson (September 3, 2013). "Amid Syria tension, Israel test-fires missile over Mediterranean Sea". NBC News.
- ""Black Sparrow" Target Missile". Arrow Weapon System. Israel Ministry of Defense. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Joshua Mitnick (September 3, 2013). "US-Israel missile test as Syria war tensions rise (+video)". Christian Science Monitor.
- "Israel Tests a new Target Missile Simulating Iranian Shihab 3 Missiles". Defense Update. September 3, 2013.
- Alon Ben-David (September 9, 2013). "Israeli Missile Test Triggers Russian Warning System". Aviation Week & Space Technology.
- Alisa Odenheimer & Calev Ben-David (September 3, 2013). "Israel Carried Out Test Missile Launch: Defense Ministry". Bloomberg.
- F. MICHAEL MALOOF (September 10, 2013). "Russia went on war alert over missile test". WND.
- Scott Rose (Sep 3, 2013). "Russia Detected Missiles Launched in Mediterranean, RIA Says". Bloomberg.
- "Joint US-Israeli missile test over Mediterranean picked up by Russian radar". RT. September 9, 2014.
|This guided missile-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Israel Defense Forces-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|