Speaker of the Cook Islands Parliament
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Cook Islands
The Speaker of the Cook Islands Parliament is the presiding officer of the Cook Islands Parliament. The manage the House in accordance with its Standing Orders and according to the traditions of the Westminster system.
The Speaker is elected by the House at the beginning of a parliamentary term according to the provisions of the Cook Islands Constitution and the Standing Orders. Unlike other Westminster systems the Speaker does not have to be a Member of Parliament, though they must be qualified to be one. By law they may not be a Cabinet Minister.
The Speaker holds office until they cease to be an MP (or, in the case of a Speaker who is not an MP, cease to be qualified to be one), become a Minister, are removed by a vote of the House, or Parliament is dissolved.
Holders of the office
Eight people have held the office of Speaker since the creation of Parliament. A full list of Speakers is below.
|Name||Took Office||Left Office||Speaker's Party||Governing Party|
|1||Marguerite Story||1965||1979||Unknown||Cook Islands Party|
|2||David Marama Hosking||1979||1988||Unknown||Mixed|
|3||Raututi Taringa||1989||1999||Unknown||Cook Islands Party|
|4||Ngereteina Puna||1999||2001||Unknown||Democratic Party|
|5||Harmon Pou||24 July 2001||24 July 2001||Unknown||Democratic Party|
|6||Sir Pupuke Robati||24 July 2001||2004||Democratic Party||Democratic Party|
|7||Norman George||2004||2005||Unelected||Democratic Party|
|Norman George, continued||2005||2006||Unelected||Cook Islands First Party|
|8||Mapu Taia||2006||2010||Democratic Party||Democratic Party|
|9||Geoffrey Henry||18 February 2011||9 May 2012||Cook Islands Party||Cook Islands Party|
|10||Niki Rattle||22 May 2012||Unelected||Cook Islands Party|
- "Niki Rattle appointed Cook Islands Speaker of Parliament". Pacific Women in Politics. 2012-05-23. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- Constitution of the Cook Islands, s31 (2A).
- Constitution of the Cook Islands, s31 (2).
- Standing Orders of the Parliament of the Cook Islands, SO 9 and 10.
- Standing Orders of the Parliament of the Cook Islands, SO 11.
- Constitution of the Cook Islands, s32.
- Constitution of the Cook Islands, s33; Standing Orders of the Parliament of the Cook Islands, SO 13 - 17.
- "Sir Geoffrey back in parliament". Cook Islands News. 2011-02-19. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "Former Members of the Cook Islands Parliament". Cook Islands Parliament. Retrieved 2009-03-21.
- "A colourful politician who held all posts". Cook Islands News. 2009-05-02. Retrieved 2010-02-23.[dead link]