|Founded||Upland, California (1989)|
|Founder||John L. Gray|
|Headquarters||Headquartered in Norco, California|
Number of locations
|United States, United Kingdom, Australia|
Spearmint Rhino is a chain of strip clubs that operates venues throughout the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia. The club opened in 1989 as a supplement to the existing Peppermint Elephant Restaurant. This first Spearmint Rhino was located in Upland, California.
John Gray is the founder & CEO of Spearmint Rhino Consulting Worldwide. His company owns the trademark of Spearmint Rhino Gentlemen's Clubs, Dames N' Games Topless Sports Bars, California Girls Gentlemen's Clubs, Blue Zebra Adult Cabaret and Dirty's Topless Bar. In 2010, the Spearmint Rhino opened 1616 Club, its first non-adult nightclub, in Downtown Los Angeles.
Each club location is independently owned, operated and licensed. The company's worldwide headquarters is in Norco, California. The London club, in Tottenham Court Road, is the flagship club in the UK.
The name Spearmint Rhino is not a codename or reference to anything at all; the company simply required a noticeable, memorable and catchy name.
In popular culture
In Episode 19 of Season 5 of the TV series Supernatural, the Archangel Gabriel makes reference to the club when describing the positive aspects of humanity, saying "And you should see the Spearmint Rhino."
In the TV series South Park, there is a parody of the club called the "Peppermint Hippo" that is featured in two separate episodes, "Lil' Crime Stoppers" and "The Return of Chef". This same name is used for a club in the movie Date Night.
In Episode 4, Season 2 of The Inbetweeners (A Night Out in London), the character Neil states that he and his friends are going to a club, referring mistakenly to the Spearmint Rhino.
In episode 6, series 5 of TV series Spooks ("Hostage Takers, Part 1"), the character Adam threatens to send someone to a place that "makes Guantanamo Bay look like Spearmint Rhino."
In the video game Grand Theft Auto V, the Vanilla Unicorn Gentlemen's Club is a play on Spearmint Rhino Gentlemen's Club.
In Episode 11, season 2 of Andy Richter Controls the Universe, the stripper says she works at "Cinnamon Cheetah."
- The Observer Business, Media & Cash section of The Observer on Sunday 3 February 2002, p12.
- Melrose wins Rhino Entertainer of the year, Xbiz Magazine, 29 October 2010 http://www.xbiz.com/news/126910
- Lord of the lap dance, Observer, February, 3rd, 2002 http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2002/feb/03/theobserver.observerbusiness11?INTCMP=SRCH
- Media:p12 of the Observer Business, Media & Cash section of the Observer on Sunday 3 February 2002. It was published on guardian.co.uk at 00.22 GMT on Sunday 3 February 2002.
- "5.19 Hammer Of The Gods". Super-Wiki. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "Cheap Car Challenges". Retrieved 7 September 2012.