Spec Explorer is a Model-Based Testing (MBT) tool from Microsoft. It extends the Visual Studio Integrated Development Environment with the ability to define a model describing the expected behavior of a software system. From these models, the tool can generate tests automatically for execution within Visual Studio's own testing framework, or many other unit testing frameworks.
The concepts behind Spec Explorer and the tool itself have been described in several publications  and presented in multiple academic and industry events.
The latest version can be downloaded from Visual studio Gallery on MSDN. Technical documentation can be found in the MSDN Library. Community and engineering team support can be obtained through the Spec Explorer Forum, while the Spec Explorer Team Blog provides detailed articles and guidance.
- "Spec Explorer Visual Studio Power Tool".
- "Model-Based Testing Gold Practice".
- "Harry Robinson's Model-Based Testing Home Page". Archived from the original on 2009-10-27.
- Mark Utting and Bruno Legeard. Practical Model-Based Testing. Morgan-Kaufmann, 2007.
- Wolfgang Grieskamp. Multi-Paradigmatic Model-Based Testing. Invited talk in Klaus Havelund and Manuel Nunez and Grigore Rosu and Burkhart Wolff, FATES/RV, LNCS 4262, 2006.
- Colin Campbell, Wolfgang Grieskamp, Lev Nachmanson, Wolfram Schulte, Nikolai Tillmann, and Margus Veanes. Model-based testing of object-oriented reactive systems with Spec Explorer. Formal Methods and Testing 2008, LNCS 4949, Springer, 2008, pp. 39-76.
- Wolfgang Grieskamp, Yuri Gurevich, Wolfram Schulte, and Margus Veanes. Generating finite state machines from abstract state machines. In Proceedings of ISSTA’02, volume 27 of Software Engineering Notes, pages 112–122. ACM, 2002.
- Keith Stobie. Model based testing in practice at Microsoft. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Model Based Testing (MBT 2004), volume 111 of Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science. Elsevier, 2004.
- Wolfgang Grieskamp, Nicolas Kicillof, Nikolai Tillmann. Action Machines: a Framework for Encoding and Composing Partial Behaviors. International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering 16(5): 705-726, 2006.
- Wolfgang Grieskamp, Dave MacDonald, Nicolas Kicillof, Alok Nandan, Keith Stobie, and Fred Wurden. Model-Based Quality Assurance of Windows Protocol Documentation. In Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Software Testing (ICST 2008), Lillihammer, Norway, April 2008.
- Yuri Gurevich. Evolving Algebras 1993: Lipari Guide. In E. Boerger, editor, Specification and Validation Methods, pages 9–36. Oxford University Press, 1995.
- R. Alur, T. A. Henzinger, O. Kupferman, M. Y. Vardi: Alternating Refinement Relations. In Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Concurrency Theory (CONCUR), LNCS 1466, Springer, 1998.
- Wolfgang Grieskamp and Nicolas Kicillof. A schema language for coordinating construction and composition of partial behaviors. In Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Software Engineering & Co-Located Workshops – 5th International Workshop on Scenarios and State Machines. ACM, May 2006.
- "Formal Approaches to Testing and Runtime Verification 2006".
- "IEEE International Conference on Software Testing Verification and Validation 2008".
- "International Conference on Quality Software 2008".
- "Storage Developer Conference".
- "Spec Explorer 2010 Visual Studio Power Tool".
- "Spec Explorer @ the Microsoft Developer Network".
- "The Model-Based Testing with Spec Explorer Forum".
- "The Spec Explorer Team Blog".