|Birth name||Edward Archer|
|Born||May 16, 1972|
|Origin||Flatbush, Brooklyn, New York|
Special Ed is the performing name of Edward Archer (born May 16, 1972 in Brooklyn, New York), an American hip hop musician of Jamaican descent. Hailing from Brooklyn in New York City, he was raised in Flatbush before moving to Canarsie, and is identified with East Coast hip hop. Ed is best known for the songs "I Got It Made", "Think About It" and "I'm The Magnificent", produced by "Hitman" Howie Tee and released in 1989 on the Youngest in Charge album, recorded when Ed was 16 years old. The album sold more than half a million copies. In 1990, he released his album Legal, the title a reference to his turning eighteen, with the singles "Come On Let's Move It" and "The Mission".
He was later a member of Crooklyn Dodgers, a supergroup put together in order to perform songs for the Spike Lee films Clockers and Crooklyn, and he performed "Crooklyn" with Shillz on the 2003 compilation album MuskaBeatz. Ed released a third solo album, Revelations, with the single "Neva Go Back" in 1995, with the track "Freaky Flow" receiving a remix by DJ Premier. In 2004, Ed released the album Still Got It Made on his own label "Semi."
In 2014, Ed was jailed in North Carolina for "non support of children".
In Other Media
Special Ed appeared in the film Ganked alongside Kel Mitchell of Kenan and Kel, and had an uncredited cameo in Juice. He also made an appearance on The Cosby Show as fictional rapper JT Freeze and music video Rick Ross – Magnificent.
- Youngest in Charge (1989)
- Legal (1990)
- Revelations (1995)
- The Best of Special Ed (2000)
- Still Got It Made (2004)
- Jones, Charisse (1995) "Still Hanging in the 'Hood; Rappers Who Stay Say Their Strength Is From the Streets", New York Times, September 24, 1995, retrieved 2011-01-30
- DiBella, M.F. "Youngest In Charge Review", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-01-30
- Shapiro, Peter (2005) The Rough Guide to Hip Hop, 2nd ed., Rough Guides, ISBN 1-84353-263-8, p. 341
- Larkin, Colin (1999) The Virgin Encyclopedia of Dance Music, Virgin Books, ISBN 0-7535-0252-6, p. 320
- Henderson, Alex "Legal Review", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-01-30
- Henderson, Alex "Revelations Review", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-01-30
- "Special Ed In Jail In N.C. For Child Support". The Source. 14 January 2014. Retrieved 3 June 2015.