Special Operations Battalion (Albania)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Special Operations Battalion|
|Batalioni i Operacioneve Speciale|
Special Operations Battalion insignia
|Active||16 October 1998 – Present|
|Branch||Albanian Armed Forces|
|Motto(s)||We better die for something than live for nothing|
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Operation Enduring Freedom
|Lieutenant colonel Ramadan Karakushi|
|Right shoulder patch|
The Special Operations Battalion (Albanian: Batalioni i Operacioneve Speciale), commonly known as BOS is the main special forces unit of the Albanian Armed Forces. It is the most elite unit of the Albanian Army. The unit is tasked with special operations in wartime, and primarily with counter-terrorism in peacetime. The BOS members can be recognized by their maroon berets, and the unit insignia which is carried on the right sleeve of their uniforms.
The Special Operations Battalion was created in 1998 as a direct answer to the region's geopolitical situation. Shortly after their creation, teams of BOS operators were deployed along the Albanian-Yugoslav border during the Kosovo War in 1999 and later along the Albanian-Macedonian border during that country's war in 2001. During these two conflicts, BOS' main tasks were reconnaissance and long-range patrol. In 2002, BOS operators were deployed in Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. In Afghanistan, the first contingents operated under Turkish command and their tasks mainly dealt with patrolling the areas around Kabul. In 2004, Albania sent a unit from the Special Operations Battalion to Mosul as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The unit together with other units from the Commando Regiment were responsible for base security and perimeter defense. In July 2010, a detachment of 44 men (codenamed EAGLE 1) from the S.O.B led by Colonel Dritan Demiraj was deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan. Differing from previous Albanian deployments, this detachment was directly involved in combat special operations. The unit worked closely with US military intelligence and was responsible for deep reconnaissance behind Taliban lines, as well as intelligence collection on High-value targets. This is the most decorated unit in AAF.
Recruitment, selection and training
All members of the Albanian land forces can be considered for special forces training. After applying, the candidates go through a 26-weeks selection process. During the first 12 weeks, the candidates are forced to march cross country against the clock, with increasing distances covered each day, culminating with a 27 km running with full kit in mountainous terrain. This is called the Commando phase. In addition, the candidates have to go through marksmanship, navigation and physical endurance tests. During the last week of the selection process, the tests and marches go on for more than 24 hours without stopping. The candidates that are able to pass the selection process, then go through a 14-week-long training process in which they learn survival skills and master their shooting techniques. After that they undergo 4 weeks special operations and CQB course. For the final test, the candidates are left without food for 72 hours in a remote area of the country; their objective is to evade any possible pursuer and return to base undetected.
Commanders of note
- Colonel Dritan Demiraj, Ph. D SOF Commander 2007-2013 (7 Years). He is the most awarded officer in AAF. He is awarded among other medals the Presidential "Medal of Honor" 2014, Presidential "Golden Eagle Medal" 2011. Presidential Medal "Grand Master of Sports" 2018, Medal as "The best military officer of Albanian Armed Forces on 100 Anniversary of Albanian State, November 28, 2012, Minister of Interior of Albania in 2017. He works as Professor of National Security in USA.
- Pistol and Submachine guns
- Land Rover Defender
- Humvee used in Iraq and Afghanistan
- International MaxxPro used by Eagle-2-8 in Kandahar
- Bo 105 utility helicopter
- Bell 205 medium utility helicopter
- Eurocopter AS532 Cougar transport helicopter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Special Operations Battalion (Albania).|
- "Batalioni i Operacioneve Speciale, elita e FA, feston 10-vjetorin e krijimit të tij". Albanian Armed Forces (Press release) (in Albanian). 21 October 2008. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- Aguila, 1st Lt. Veronica (2 December 2012). "From the beginning: learning to give everything". U.S. Army. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- "Lufta për Beretën Vishnje". Revista Mapo (in Albanian). Archived from the original on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2012.