Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food
The Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food is a Special Rapporteur who works for the United Nations and reports on the right to food. The mandate was established in 2000 by the former Commission on Human Rights which appointed the first Rapporteur, Dr. Jean Ziegler. In 2008 the second Rapporteur, Dr. Olivier De Schutter, was appointed by the United Nations Human Rights Council, the successor to the Commission. In 2014 the third and current Rapporteur, Hilal Elver was appointed.
The Rapporteur is expected to report both to the Human Rights Council and to the UN General Assembly (Third Committee) on the fulfillment of the mandate. The mandate includes: and to promote the full realization of the right to food and the adoption of measures at the national, regional and international levels," "to examine ways and means of overcoming existing and emerging obstacles," continue mainstreaming and taking into account gender and age perspectives, to submit proposals to realise Millennium Development Goal No. 1 to halve by the year 2015 the proportion of people who suffer from hunger, to work in close cooperation with all States, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, and the CESCR, and participating in and contributing to relevant conferences.
- Commission on Human Rights 2000.
- Food and Agriculture Organization 2012b.
- Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food 2012a: "Mandate."
- "OHCHR | Hilal Elver - Special Rapporteur on the right to food". www.ohchr.org. Retrieved 2017-07-16.
- Human Rights Council 2007; summarised in Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food 2012a: "Mandate."
- Ziegler 2012.
- Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food 2012a: "Country Missions."
- Commission on Human Rights (17 April 2000), Res. 2000/10, United Nations.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (2012b), Right to Food Timeline, Legal Office, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, archived from the original on 6 June 2012.
- Human Rights Council (2007), Mandate of the Special Rapporteur on the right to food. (Resolution A/HRC/6/L.5/Rev.1), Human Rights Council.
- Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food (2012a), Website of the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food, Olivier De Schutter, retrieved 24 May 2012
- Ziegler, Jean (2012), "Publications", Right to Food. Website of the former Special Rapporteur, archived from the original on 30 June 2012