Special Services (entertainment)
Special Services was the entertainment branch of the American military. The unit was created on 22 July 1940 by the War Department as part of the Army Service Forces. Special Services not only used their own specially trained and talented troops but also would often engage local performers.
Military Occupational Specialties
Military Occupational Specialties of the Special Services were as follows-
- 03B Entertainment Specialist
- 03C Physical Activities Specialist
- 03D Crafts Specialist
- 03Z Recreation Service Senior Sergeant
Famous Special Service soldiers
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Philip Ahn
- Ken Berry
- Joey Bishop
- Dabney Coleman
- Sammy Davis Jr.
- Dick Van Dyke
- Clint Eastwood
- Maurice Evans
- Phil Gersh
- Frank Gorshin
- Nat Hiken
- Sterling Holloway
- David Janssen
- Werner Klemperer
- Burt Lancaster
- Martin Milner
- Howard Morris
- Robert Nichols
- Leonard Nimoy
- Ken Osmond
- Jack Paar
- Lloyd Price
- Carl Reiner
- Mickey Rooney
- Mitch Ryan
- Lenny Schultz
- Hal Smith
US Marine Corps
The Special Services Division, the forerunner of today's Special Services Branch, was formed on 1 March 1943. Its mission was to provide recreational and informational services to Marine Corps personnel for the purpose of maintaining morale.
The MOS 9913, Special Services Officer supervises and coordinates special services activities involved with command morale, welfare, and recreation programs.
- P. 415 Emerson, William K. Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms 1996 University of Oklahoma Press
- p.57 Monod, David Settling scores: German Music, Denazification, & the Americans, 1945–1953 UNC Press 2005
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001056/bio Dabney Coleman, Biography, Trivia 4
- McLellan, Dennis (11 May 2004). "Phil Gersh, 92; Agent With Old Hollywood Instincts, Art Patron". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- Kovner, Guy (2013-03-26). "Robert Nichols". The Press Democrat. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- Page 82 Leatherneck - Volume 44, Issue 3