Special Victims Unit
|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Special Victims Unit (SVU) is the name of a specialized division within some police departments. The detectives in this division typically investigate crimes involving sexual assault or victims of non-sexual crimes who require specialist handling such as the very young, the very elderly, or the disabled.
New York City Police Department
The New York City Police Department's Special Victims Division investigates sex crimes. It is housed in separate Borough Patrols (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island). The Special Victims Division only investigates the following types of cases:
- Any child under 11 years of age who is the victim of abuse by a parent or person legally responsible for the care of the child.
- Any child under 13 years of age who is the victim of any sex crime or attempted sex crime.
- Any victim of rape (all degrees) or attempted rape (all degrees).
- Any victim of a criminal sexual act (all degrees) or attempted criminal sexual act (all degrees).
- Victims of aggravated sexual abuse (all degrees).
- Victims of sexual abuse 1st degree.
They also deal with children, handicapped and elderly victims of non-sexual crimes who require specialist handling. The Special Victims Unit does not investigate any murder, robbery or child pornography cases. Murders and robberies are investigated by precinct detective squads. If a sex crime is involved, the Special Victims Squad may assist in the investigation. Child pornography is investigated by the NYPD Vice Enforcement Sexual Exploitation of Children Unit.
In popular culture
The television show Homicide: Life on the Street makes references to the Sex Crimes Unit, another name for Special Victims Unit.
- Laws regarding rape
- Rape shield law (shields rape victims from scrutiny)
- Serial rapist
- Major Case Squad
- Cold case (criminology)
- Missing Persons Unit
|This law enforcement–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|