Specialised Infantry Group
|Specialised Infantry Group|
Tactical Recognition Flash of the group
|Role||Train, Advise, Assist, Enable|
|Part of||6th (United Kingdom) Division|
|Brigadier Angus Fair|
The Specialised Infantry Group (Spec Inf Gp) is a formation of the British Army that trains foreign forces. The group was formed as a result of the Army 2020 Refine reorganisation. It also aims to provide anti-terrorism training and support overseas allies.
The group was formed to work alongside chosen partner forces. It was initially formed in October 2017 with the 4th Battalion, The Rifles (4 RIFLES) and The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (1 SCOTS). Just a few months later in July 2018, the 2nd Battalion, The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment (2 PWRR) and the Joint Counter Terrorist Training and Advisory Team was added to the Group.
In January 2019, a fourth battalion, the 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, was added and this will be followed by the 3rd Battalion, The Royal Gurkha Rifles sometime in either late 2019, or in 2020.
In February 2018, the 4th Battalion, The Rifles deployed for the first time to Kuwait to work with the Kuwait Army and Kuwait National Guard. R Company, 4 Rifles also trained the Afghan Army and forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. In July 2018, C Company from the 2nd Battalion, The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment was dispatched to Nigeria, where 1 SCOTS have also been engaged in training the Nigerian Army for their fight against Boko Haram .
As of 14 May 2019 the group's structure is as follows:
- Headquarters in Aldershot
- 1st (Royal Scots Borderers) Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland, Palace Barracks, Holywood (moving to Aldershot by 2020)
- 2nd Battalion, The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires), New Normandy Barracks, Aldershot
- 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment (King's, Lancashire and Border), Weeton Barracks (moving to Aldershot by 2020)
- 3rd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles, Aldershot (formed in 2018)
- 4th Battalion, The Rifles, New Normandy Barracks, Aldershot
- Joint Counter Terrorist Training and Advisory Team, Risborough Barracks, Shornecliffe
- January 2017 - August 2019: Brigadier James Roddis
- August 2019 - Present: Brigadier Angus Fair
- Security Force Assistance Brigade - US Army equivalent
- "Defence review to see dozens of sites close". BBC News. 7 November 2016. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Specialised Infantry Group". army.mod.uk. British Army. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Leadership in The Specialised Infantry: An Interview with Brigadier James Roddis". thearmyleader.co.uk. The Army Leader. 8 December 2018. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Army 2020 Refine Structure" (PDF). britisharmedforcesreview. HM Armed Forces Review. 15 October 2019. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "Written Statement: Strategic Defence and Security Review – Army:Written statement – HCWS367". parliament.uk. Hansard. 15 December 2016. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
Specialised Infantry Battalions
- "New Gurkha battalion to be established as brigade grows". gov.uk. London. 11 March 2019. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "New 3rd Battalion Royal Gurkha Rifles Will Begin Recruiting 2019". warfare.tody. 12 March 2019. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Grzeszczyk, Sian (21 February 2018). "EXCLUSIVE: Specialist British Soldiers' First Operational Deployment In Kuwait". Forces News. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Wiltshire, Amy (2 May 2019). "Duchess Of Cornwall Presents 4 RIFLES With Medals". Forces News. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Cotterill, Tom (23 July 2018). "Portsmouth soldiers teach Nigerian Army how to defeat brutal terror group Boko Haram". Portsmouth News. Portsmouth. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "New specialist Gurkha battalion established". www.army.mod.uk. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "Army:Written question – 194616" (PDF). parliament.uk. Hansard. 22 November 2018. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Mackie, Colin (1 October 2019). "Generals 2019" (PDF). gulabin.com. Colin Mackie. Retrieved 1 October 2019.
Brigadier Angus G.C. Fair (late Light Dragoons) Commander, Specialised Infantry Group August 2019