|Traded as||LSE: SXS|
Egham, Surrey, United Kingdom
|Headquarters||Egham, Surrey, United Kingdom|
|John Hughes, Chairman |
Andrew Heath, CEO
|Revenue||£1,604.2 million (2018)|
|£176.4 million (2018)|
|£185.2 million (2018)|
The Company was founded by Richard Fairey in 1915, as the Fairey Aviation Company with the objective of manufacturing seaplanes. In 1980 the business was acquired by Pearson from which it was the subject of a management buy-out in 1987. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1988. In the 1990s the Company focused on electronics selling its electrical insulator and hydraulic actuator businesses.
In 1997 it acquired Burnfield, a measuring instruments manufacturer, and in 1999 it bought Servomex, an industrial instruments manufacturer. In 2000 it bought four instrumentation businesses from Spectris A.G. of Germany and then in 2001 changed its name to Spectris plc. In 2002 it bought the Philips Analytical business. In 2011, Spectris bought Omega Engineering for $475 million. In December 2012 it sold Fusion UV to Heraeus Holding, GmbH. for $172 million (USD) in cash using the proceeds to pay down debt. In 2014 it acquired ESG Solutions, an industry leader and pioneer in microseismic technology and services for the oil and gas, mining and geotechnical industries.
Spectris had been expected to be taken over by Bain Capital and Advent International in what would have been one of the largest debt-fuelled takeovers of a publicly-listed British company in 2018. The company announced on 22 December 2018 that the deal had collapsed due to political uncertainty in the United Kingdom.
The Company is organised as follows:
- Test Services - Millbrook Proving Ground
- Materials Analysis - Malvern Instruments, Particle Measuring Systems, PANalytical
- Test and Measurement - Brüel & Kjær Sound & Vibration, ESG Solutions, HBM Test and Measurement
- In-line instrumentation - Brüel & Kjær Vibro, BTG, NDC Technologies, Servomex
- Industrial Controls - Microscan Systems, Inc., Red Lion Controls, Omega Engineering
- "Annual Results 2018" (PDF). Spectris. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- Spectris: History
- "Spectris buys X-ray technology for €150m". The Independent. 18 July 2002. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Ebrahami, Helia (16 August 2011). "Spectris buys US rival for $475m". The Telegraph. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- "Spectris sells Fusion UV business to Heraus for 172m dollars". 19 December 2012.
- "Kingston company sold in multimillion-dollar deal". The Whig. 11 December 2014.
- "Market jitters lead to a plunge in deals: Fears over Brexit kill City's £3.5bn Spectris takeover". 2018-12-22. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- Spectris: Businesses
|This article about a company of the UK is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|