|Founded||Sept. 19, 1997|
|Headquarters||Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA|
|Richard C. Breon, President & CEO|
Number of employees
|25,400 total (2017)|
Spectrum Health System, commonly known as Spectrum Health, is a not-for-profit, integrated, managed care health care organization based in West Michigan. Spectrum Health's subsidiaries include hospitals, treatment facilities, urgent care facilities, as well as physician practices that serve the western Michigan area. Priority Health is a subsidiary health plan with nearly 795,000 members. Spectrum Health is the largest employer in West Michigan with 25,400 staff, 3,200 physicians and advanced practice providers, including 1,400 members of the Spectrum Health Medical Group, and 2,300 volunteers. Spectrum Health is Aa3 rated by Moody’s Investors Service, placing it among only 40 health care systems in the country to receive this high rating. Spectrum Health was named one of the nation’s 15 Top Health Systems—and in the top five among the largest health systems—by Truven Health Analytics™ for 2017. This is the sixth time the organization has received this recognition. Spectrum Health System is recognized as one of the Top 50 Integrated Health Care Networks in the United States.
Spectrum Health was formally incorporated on Sept. 19, 1997, bringing together the resources of Butterworth Health System and Blodgett Memorial Medical Center. It became the largest and most comprehensive health care organization in West Michigan after years of planning and a high-profile legal battle. In August 2000, Richard C. Breon was hired to lead the organization as CEO, and sought to form an integrated health care system.
In 2011, Spectrum Health implemented a program that integrates medical services, behavioral health care, addiction and social services for frequent emergency department users. A review of 296 patients involved in the program found a 45% reduction in emergency department visits and hospital admissions after 3 months and a 65% reduction after 6 months.
Spectrum Health provides inpatient and outpatient services at a variety of locations throughout Michigan.
- Spectrum Health Blodgett Hospital, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial Hospital, Fremont, Michigan
- Spectrum Health Kelsey Hospital, Lakeview, Michigan
- Spectrum Health Helen DeVos Children's Hospital, Downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Spectrum Health Reed City Hospital, Reed City, Michigan
- Spectrum Health United Hospital, Greenville, Michigan
- Spectrum Health Zeeland Community Hospital, Zeeland, Michigan
- Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital, Ludington, Michigan
- Spectrum Health Big Rapids Hospital, Big Rapids, Michigan
- Spectrum Health Pennock, Hastings, Michigan
Health care providers
The Spectrum Health Medical Group employs more than 1,400 physicians and advanced practice providers. Spectrum Health also has a multispecialty physician group (mmpc), which has more than 300 health care providers serving patients in more than 30 specialties.
Other facilities and services
Spectrum Health Continuing Care is West Michigan’s largest provider of post-acute services, including rehabilitative, long-term acute, home and residential care. Spectrum Health has an air ambulance helicopter service, called Aeromed, that transports patients between accident scenes as well as between hospitals and the airport.
Spectrum Health provided $326 million in community benefit during the 2016 fiscal year.
As a system, Spectrum Health has earned hundreds of awards. Recent awards include:
- Spectrum Health was named one of the nation’s 15 Top Health Systems—and in the top five among the largest health systems—by Truven Health Analytics™ for 2017. This is the sixth time the organization has received this recognition.
- HealthGrades Joint Replacement Excellence Award
- Top 100 Integrated Health Care Networks
- HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence
- HealthGrades Joint Replacement Excellence Award
- HealthGrades Cardiac Care Excellence Award
- HealthGrades Cardiac Surgery Excellence Awards
- HealthGrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award
- "Facts & Figures". Spectrum Health System. Retrieved March 20, 2010.
- "Spectrum Health Hospitals". Archived from the original on December 31, 2007. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- "About Us". Spectrum Health System. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "Report to the Community 2008-2009" (PDF). Spectrum Health System. Retrieved March 20, 2010.
- "2012 IMS Top 100 IHNs" (PDF). 2012. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "Spectrum Health History 1991–2000". Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- "Coordinated, Intensive Medical, Social, and Behavioral Health Services Improve Outcomes and Reduce Utilization for Frequent Emergency Department Users". Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- Spectrum Health - Aero Med
- "Grand Rapids Helicopter Crash". Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "Spectrum Health Foundation Big Rapids and Reed City Hospitals: Stewardship Report FY2016" (PDF). Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- "Awards and Accolades". Spectrum Health System. Retrieved March 20, 2010.