|LGA(s)||Shire of Yarriambiack|
Speed is the venue of the Mallee Machinery Field Days, first held in 1979. It is run over two days in August and has over 8,000 people attend. It is run by the Lions Club of Speed which has about 25 members. The event relies on volunteers from the district and has raised a great deal of money to go towards many different local, state and national charities and organisations. Speed Post Office opened on 1 October 1910.
Speed was once notable for the roadsigns on the highway each side of the town reading "WELCOME TO SPEED" but these have been replaced with council signs "Welcome to Speed – Where Time Ticks Faster." These signs also advertise the dates of the Speed Lions Club Machinery Field Days.
Golfers play at the course of the Speed Golf Club.
Speed State School (No. 3861) opened in 1913. It has since closed and has been sold into private ownership. Speed East State School (No. 4129) opened in October 1922 and closed in 1944, with the building being removed to Robinvale.
In January 2011, the residents of Speed started a safety campaign to get the name of the town to be renamed "SpeedKills" to raise awareness of the dangers of speeding. By mid-February 2011 the Facebook campaign had exceeded the designated 32,000 "likes" required to rename the town "SpeedKills". The outcome was to rename the town for one month.
- "History – Mallee machinery Field Days". Speed Lions Club. Archived from the original on 2007-12-28. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 2008-04-11
- Golf Select, Speed, retrieved 2009-05-11
- What Happened To All The Schools?. Local History Resource Centre. 1989. p. 46.
- "15 Main Street, Speed". realestate.com.au. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- What Happened To All The Schools?. Local History Resource Centre. 1989. p. 47.
- Rename Speed Facebook page, 6am 18/02/2011
- Bryant, Nick (2011-02-18), "Australian town becomes SpeedKills in safety campaign", BBC News, retrieved 2011-02-18
|This article about a location in the Mallee is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|