|Designer(s)||Casper van Est|
SpeedRunners is a multiplayer side-scrolling racing game developed by DoubleDutch Games and published by tinyBuild. Originally a free web browser game titled SpeedRunner and later an Xbox 360 game by the name SpeedRunner HD on Xbox Live Arcade, SpeedRunners was released on Steam on 26 August 2013 into Steam Early Access, and as a full game on 19 April 2016. SpeedRunners was released on Xbox One in June 2017 as a Games with Gold title. It was recognized as an eSport by the Electronic Sports League in July 2015. However, due to decreasing activity the SpeedRunners section was ended on 28 August 2016 when the final community cup was held.
SpeedRunners is played as a fast-paced side-scroller. Players compete with each other to outrun their opponents using grappling hooks, power-ups and interactive environments. The screen moves with whatever player is currently in the lead. Falling behind far enough off the screen results in players dying to the players who still remain on-screen. As the player progresses they earn experience based on their performance. Getting enough experience points causes the player to level up which unlocks new power-ups, levels, characters, and skins.
Kotaku's Alex Jones termed SpeedRunners as "competitive multiplayer Mario that Nintendo should've made". PC Gamer's Emanuel Maiberg said it to be a "fully realized idea", with the exception of "occasional bug and some rough art assets". Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Ben Barrett praised the game's simplicity.
SpeedRunners won the Gamer’s Voice Award in the 2015 SXSW Gaming Award, the 2014 Best Multiplayer Game Award by Indie DB, and was nominated for Best PC/Console Game at the 2012 Dutch Game Awards.
- Jones, Alex (22 May 2015). "Speedrunners is the Competitive Multiplayer Mario That Nintendo Should've Made". Kotaku. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Maiberg, Emanuel (31 July 2014). "SpeedRunners review (Early Access)". PC Gamer. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Smith, Adam (24 June 2013). "Hook, Line And Sprinter: SpeedRunners". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Byrd, Matthew. "SpeedRunners Gets an Official Release Out of Early Access". Twinfinite. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "SpeedRunners on Steam". Steam. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Nelson, Major (31 May 2017). "SpeedRunners Is Now Available For Xbox One". Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "SpeedRunners 1on1 Summer Series #1 Europe". ESL Play. Electronic Sports League. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- ESL, "Time to say goodbye to our SpeedRunner section!", 28 August 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Barrett, Ben (27 August 2013). "Gotta Go Fast: SpeedRunners". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "SXSW Gaming Awards Highlights". South by Southwest. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Indie of the Year 2014 - Editors Choice feature - SpeedRunners". Indie DB. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Nominees Dutch Game Awards 2012". Dutch Game Awards. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
|This platform game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|