Speed skating at the 1972 Winter Olympics – Women's 500 metres
|Women's 500 metres|
at the XI Olympic Winter Games
Left-right: Krasnova, Henning, Titova
|Venue||Makomanai Open Stadium|
|Competitors||29 from 12 nations|
|Speed skating at the|
1972 Winter Olympics
|World record||Anne Henning (USA)||42.5||Davos, Switzerland||7 January 1972|
|Olympic record||Lidia Skoblikova (URS)||45.0||Innsbruck, Austria||30 January 1964|
The following new Olympic and World records was set during the competition.
|10 February||Monika Pflug||West Germany||44.75||OR|
|10 February||Lyudmila Titova||Soviet Union||44.45||OR|
|10 February||Anne Henning||United States||43.33||OR|
During her run, Henning had to stop to avoid a collision with Sylvia Burka at the crossover point. She won the race and the gold medal with a time of 43.70. Officials allowed her another run after the competition, where she broke the Olympic record.
- "The XI Olympic Winter Games Sapporo 1972" (PDF). Organizing Committee for the XIth Olympic Winter Games. LA84 Foundation. 1972. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- "Speed Skating at the 1972 Sapporo Winter Games: Women's 500 metres". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "ISU - Speed Skating - Records - World Records". International Skating Union. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- "ISU - Speed Skating - Records - Olympic Records". International Skating Union. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Wallechinsky, David (1984). The Complete Book of the Olympics. England: Penguin Books. p. 598. ISBN 0140066322.