||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
July 23, 1947 |
Charles City, Virginia
|Education||B.A. English, Journalism|
|Alma mater||Hampton University|
|Occupation||Broadcaster, journalist, author|
|Employer||KGO-TV (ABC7), San Francisco|
|Known for||Good Morning America (1986-1998)
The View from the Bay (2005-2010)
Spencer Christian (born July 23, 1947) is an American television broadcaster, best known as the former weather forecaster for ABC's Good Morning America from 1986 to 1998. He currently is the weather forecaster for ABC-owned KGO-TV in San Francisco. Christian is also the author of several children's books.
Christian was born in Charles City, Virginia in 1947. He began his broadcasting career at WWBT in Richmond, Virginia as a news reporter, covering state and local politics, the public school system, and landmark cases in the Fourth US Circuit Court of Appeals. His first stint as a weatherman came in 1975, in Baltimore, Maryland, when he was hired by news director Ron Kershaw at WBAL-TV to join the Action News team which included Sue Simmons, Mike Hambrick, Ron Smith, Curt Anderson and Joe Krebs. In Baltimore, Christian quickly gained a respectable following because of his quick wit and not so dry humor. Additionally, he frequently made appearances at many community and charitable events held at shopping centers, elementary schools and little leagues. Christian was in Baltimore at the same time that Oprah was at Baltimore's WJZ-TV.
From there, Christian moved to New York City's WABC-TV, where he served as weatherman and sportscaster for Eyewitness News from 1977 to 1986. In August 1986, Christian joined Good Morning America as their weather forecaster. In addition, he occasionally traveled throughout the United States and abroad, reporting on a wide range of topics from current events to human interest stories.
Christian left Good Morning America in 1998 and began doing weather forecasts at KGO-TV in San Francisco, California in January 1999, a position he holds to this day. He was host of HGTV's Spencer Christian's Wine Cellar from 1995 to 1999.
Christian has also hosted the PBS train series Tracks Ahead since 2000. Since 2005 he has been the host of the popular afternoon show in San Francisco, View from the Bay. In June, 2014, Christian temporarily returned to the set of Good Morning America as a substitute weather forecaster.
He is a member of Iota Phi Theta fraternity.
Spencer Christian co-authored the following books with Antonia Felix:
- Can it Really Rain Frogs: The World's Strangest Weather Events, 1997, ISBN 978-0471152903
- Is There a Dinosaur in Your Backyard: The World's Most Fascinating Fossils, Rocks, and Minerals, 1998, ISBN 978-0471196167
- Shake, Rattle, and Roll: The World's Most Amazing Volcanoes, Earthquakes, and Other Forces, 1997, ISBN 978-0471152910
- What Makes the Grand Canyon Grand? The World's Most Awe-Inspiring Natural Wonders, 1997, ISBN 978-0471196174
With co-author Tom Biracree, he wrote:
- Electing Our Government: Everything You Need to Know to Make Your Vote Really Count, 1996, ISBN 978-0312143244
He also wrote:
- Spencer Christian's Geography Book, 1995, ISBN 978-0312131807
- Spencer Christian's biography from KGO-TV
- Spencer Christian on Twitter
- Spencer Christian at the Internet Movie Database