Spencer Township, Allen County, Ohio
|Spencer Township, Allen County, Ohio|
Fields west of Spencerville from State Route 117
Location of Spencer Township, Allen County, Ohio
|• Total||23.4 sq mi (60.5 km2)|
|• Land||23.3 sq mi (60.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||823 ft (251 m)|
|• Density||132/sq mi (50.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085700|
Spencer Township is one of the twelve townships of Allen County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 3,067 people in the township, 844 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Marion Township - northeast
- Amanda Township - east
- Logan Township, Auglaize County - southeast
- Salem Township, Auglaize County - southwest
- Jennings Township, Van Wert County - west
The village of Spencerville is located in southern Spencer Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Spencer township, Allen County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.