Spencerville is an unincorporated community located in Spencer Township, DeKalb County, Indiana. The only covered bridge in DeKalb County is located in Spencerville.
The Spencerville post office was established in 1839. Spencerville was named for John Spencer, relative of one of the founders.
Spencerville is located at 41°16′59″N 84°55′19″W / 41.28306°N 84.92194°W.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Spencerville Covered Bridge, DeKlab County, Indiana". Indiana County History Preservation Society. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- ^ "DeKalb County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 308. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...and named for John Spencer, brother-in-law of Reuben J. Dawson, who platted...