|Four shells of Sphaerium corneum. Scale bar is in mm|
Deshayes, 1855 (1820)
|Wikispecies has information related to Sphaeriidae|
The Sphaeriidae are a family of small to minute freshwater bivalve molluscs, in the order Veneroida; this family also includes the clams formerly placed in the Pisidiidae. In the US, they are commonly known as pea clams or fingernail clams.
Genera in the family Sphaeriidae include:
Biology and ecology
- Bowden, John & Heppell, David (1968). "Revised list of British Mollusca. 2. Unionacea-Cardiacea" (PDF). Journal of Conchology. 26 (4): 237–272, note 55, pages 253–254. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 December 2014.
- Baker, Horace Burrington (1964). "Notes on Sphaeriid Names". The Nautilus. 78 (2): 45–47.
- Heard, William H. 1965. Comparative life histories of North American pill clams (Sphaeriidae: Pisidium). Malacologia, 2: 381-411.
- Heard, William H. 1977. Reproduction of fingernail clams (Sphaeriidae: Sphaerium and Musculium). Malacologia, 16: 421-455.
- Biology of Snail-Killing Sciomyzidae Flies at Google Books
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sphaeriidae.|