Sphinx (documentation generator)
|Initial release||March 21, 2008|
1.4.6 / August 20, 2016
Purpose and Function
reStructuredText is extensible, and Sphinx exploits its extensible nature through a number of extensions -- for autogenerating documentation from source code, writing mathematical notation or highlighting source code, etc.
History and Use
Since its introduction in 2008, Sphinx has been adopted by many other important Python projects, including Bazaar, SQLAlchemy, MayaVi, SageMath, SciPy, Django and Pylons. It is also used for the Blender user manual and Python API documentation.
In 2010, Eric Holscher announced the creation of the Read the Docs project as part of an effort to make maintenance of software documentation easier. Read the Docs automates the process of building and uploading Sphinx documentation after every commit.
- "Changes in Sphinx".
- "Sphinx is released! » And now for something completely Pythonic...". And now for something completely Pythonic... Georg Brandl. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "About these documents — Python v2.7.1 documentation". Python documentation. Python Software Foundation. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Blender User Manual". Blender Wiki. Blender Foundation.
- "Dev:2.5/Py/API/Generating API Reference - BlenderWiki!". Blender Foundation. Blender Foundation.
- "Announcing Read The Docs". Python Software Foundation News. Eric Holscher. Retrieved 2015-02-15.