|Industry||Software, video games|
|Jeff Vogel — President|
Spiderweb Software is an independent video game developer founded in 1994 by Jeff Vogel in Seattle, Washington. Its primary focus is on creating demoware games for the Apple Macintosh, Microsoft Windows, Android and the iPad. Spiderweb Software is also known for emphasizing storytelling and turn-based gameplay and using a retro style of graphics.
|1995||Exile I: Escape from the Pit|
|1996||Exile II: Crystal Souls|
|1997||Exile III: Ruined World|
|Blades of Exile|
|2004||Blades of Avernum|
|2006||Geneforge 4: Rebellion|
|2008||Geneforge 5: Overthrow|
|2011||Avernum: Escape From the Pit|
|Avadon: The Black Fortress|
|2013||Avadon 2: The Corruption|
|2015||Avernum II: Crystal Souls|
|2016||Avadon 3: The Warborn|
|2018||Avernum 3: Ruined World|
|2019||Queen's Wish: The Conqueror|
|2021||Geneforge 1 - Mutagen|
Spiderweb Software is most notable for the following RPG video games:
- The Exile trilogy of underground adventures (1995-1997).
- Blades of Exile, a non-canonical continuation featuring a scenario creation kit.
- Nethergate, a fantasy game based upon the Roman occupation of Britain (1999). The game was eventually revamped under the title Nethergate: Resurrection.
- The first Avernum trilogy, which are expanded updates of the Exile series, using the Nethergate game engine, with several enhancements to the visual design and gameplay (2000-2002).
- Blades of Avernum, a non-canonical continuation featuring a scenario creation kit.
- The five-part Geneforge series, notable for its unique gameplay involving the creation of creatures to assist the player (2001-2008).
- The Second Avernum trilogy, continuing and ultimately finishing the story of Avernum, using a variation of the Geneforge game engine (2006-2010).
- Avadon: The Black Fortress, the first game in a new trilogy (2011). Avadon features a new game setting, interface, and combat system.
- Avernum: Escape From the Pit (2011) and Avernum 2: Crystal Souls (2015), the first two games in a series of ground-up rewrites of the first Avernum trilogy, with new graphics and sound effects and an expanded storyline. Avernum 3: Ruined World (2018) was released in January 2018.
- Queen's Wish: The Conqueror, the first game in a new fantasy series (2019). This series focuses on capturing and building fortresses and explores the mechanics and morality of building empires.
- Geneforge 1 - Mutagen (2021) is a remake of the first Geneforge game. It was released on February 24, 2021.
The company previously provided distribution services and other support for other shareware developers, including Richard White and Crystal Shard. The games included:
- Galactic Core (developed by Richard White).
- Lost Souls (developed by Richard White).
- Ocean Bound (developed by Richard White).
- SubTerra (developed by Crystal Shard).
- Homeland: The Stone of Night (developed by Dragon Lore).
In June 2007, Jeff Vogel announced that the company would no longer be supporting games by other developers, and they are no longer available for download through Spiderweb's main site.
- Exile II: Crystal Souls – 1996 "Shareware Game of the Year" (Honorable Mention), Wasson, Gregory (October 1996). "1996 MacUser Shareware Awards". MacUser.
- Exile III: Ruined World – "Shareware Game of the Year", "1998 Shareware Award Winners". Computer Gaming World. October 1998.
- Nethergate – "RPG of the Year" (Honorable Mention), Computer Games Magazine
- Geneforge 4: Rebellion – "Indie RPG of the year" GameBanshee 
- The Bottom Feeder: How Many Games I Sell, Part Two
- Spiderweb Software Older Games
- Avernum Series Main Page
- "Spiderweb Software's homepage". Retrieved March 24, 2010.
- Vogel, Jeff (February 26, 2010). "Avernum 6 For Windows Released". Retrieved March 24, 2010. "I am making a whole new game world, game engine"
- "Spiderweb Software Inc". Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- RPGamer Interview
- PC Gamer Article
- Avernum 3 Press Release
- "VentureBeat Interview"
- Geneforge at Spiderweb Software
- Spiderweb Software forums
- "Download Galactic Core for Mac Free Trial". Mac.softpedia.com. 2004-05-15. Archived from the original on 2013-04-07. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
- Mariann Krizsan. "Galactic Core Home Page". Spiderwebsoftware.com. Archived from the original on 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
- Mariann Krizsan. "Lost Souls". Spidweb.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-06. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
- "Ocean11.hqx". Info-Mac. 1998-10-31. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
- Mariann Krizsan. "Ocean Bound". Spidweb.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
- Announcement of end of SubTerra distribution from Spiderweb Software's website
- Inside Mac Games Article