|Industry||Video game development
Spil Games is a privately owned company based in Hilversum near Amsterdam in the Netherlands and has more than 150 employees. The company publishes free-to-play games for iPhone, iPad and Android devices. The company also publishes games for the web and Facebook.
Spill Group was formed by two Dutch entrepreneurs Peter Driessen and Bennie Eeftink in 2001. The first online games website was launched in 2004, in the Dutch market. At this time, the target audience was mostly teenager girls.
In 2007 Spill Group acquired a majority share in the Chinese game development company zLong and began producing games. In 2007, portals were also expanded to the US and UK.
In July 2008, Spill group changed the company name and rebranded to Spil Games.
In total, Spil Games expanded its segmented and localized approach with more than 50 websites where people can play games online in 20 languages.
In May 2014 the company announced that it will let go of a substantial portion of its work force – 90 out of 240 full-time positions – as a result of a move from website to mobile and tablet games.
In September 2014, the company reorganised, closing its Dutch development studio and concentrating on mobile game publishing.
In February 2015, a new CEO was appointed. Tung Nguyen-Khac had been CEO of the gaming division of the German television company ProSiebenSat1. Venturebeat said of the move: "With the mobile-gaming industry growing to $25 billion in 2014, it's not surprising that a company like Spil would look for new leadership to help get a bigger piece of that action." On 16, August, 2016 Spil Games announced it achieved 100 million downloads in the last 12 months. PocketGamer said of the announcement that Spil “had originally hoped to reach this milestone by the end of 2016, and has now revised its goal up to 150 million for the end of the year"
In the first part of 2016, the company announced and launched several game brands.
Europacorp, Luc Besson’s film studio, selects Spil Games to create the official mobile game for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, the director’s upcoming $180M sci-fi movie. The company revealed the first details about the game in May 2017.
Facebook chooses Spil Games as a launch partner for Instant Games on 29 November. Spil's Endless Lake is one of 17 games to be featured in Instant Games where players can play games directly on Messenger or their Facebook News Feed. Three weeks later Facebook named Endless Lake as on its Games of the Year. Spil Games launched its second Instant Games, Tomb Runner in April 2017.
In May 2017, Spil Games launches Operate Now: Hospital a hospital simulation game for iOS and Android.
Spil Games publishes Mahjong Crimes in November 2017; a new game bringing together Mahjong solitaire and the murder mystery Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.
In mobile, the company started from nowhere and had 50 million installs in 2015. By February 2017, the company had achieved 200 million mobile downloads. It is on track to hit 275 million installs by December 2017.
Its games are also beginning to reach significant social and messenger audiences on Instant Games from Facebook. Endless Lake has reached close to 40 million unique users to date since launching in November 2016.
- Mahjong Crimes
- Operate Now: Hospital
- The Troll Face Quest series
- Uphill Rush
- My Dolphin Show
The company publishes thousands of web games through its web portals. These include:
- "Home". Spil Games. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Home". Spil Games. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Spil Games rond reorganisatie af en sluit interne studio | Nieuws | Entertainment Business". www.entertainmentbusiness.nl. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Nieuws week september 1 2014 (36) | Entertainment Business". www.entertainmentbusiness.nl. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Spil Games gets new mobile-savvy CEO to oversee social-gaming transition from Facebook". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- Cowley, Ric (August 16, 2016). "PocketGamer.biz".
- "Jobs in Games: Spil Games' Franz Stradal on how to get a job as a VP of Content". pocketgamer.biz. Retrieved 2017-06-07.
- "VALERIAN: CITY OF ALPHA Is Now Available For Free on iOS and Android! Watch The NEW Trailer! | Rama's Screen". www.ramascreen.com. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Spil Games announces Creature Family, a F2P reboot of the AI classic for 2017". pocketgamer.biz. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- Levy, Ari (2016-04-28). "Atari founder Bushnell jumps into mobile with Spil Games". CNBC. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "'Valerian' Mobile and Web Games to Be Created by Spil Games". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Exclusive: First look at new Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets mobile game". SyfyWire. 2017-05-10. Retrieved 2017-06-07.
- "King, Zynga, Konami and more launch 17 games on Facebook's Instant Games platform". pocketgamer.biz. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "How Facebook Instant Games powered Endless Lake to 12 million users in three weeks". pocketgamer.biz. Retrieved 2016-12-23.
- "Spil CEO on Facebook Instant Games: "We think it has the potential to be a massively significant gaming platform"". pocketgamer.biz. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- Yildiz, Sinan (2017-05-27). "Operate Now: Hospital Updated: Reduced Building Costs, Fixed Missions and Better Dialogues - AppInformers.com". App Informers - iOS, Android, and Amazon Appstore News. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- "Play a Familiar Game in a Whole new way in 'Mahjong Crimes' -". The Good Men Project. 2017-11-09. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- "MCV UK". MCV UK. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Spil Games". 2017-07-13.
- "About Spil Games - Spil Games". Spil Games. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- March 2009, Spil Games confirmed as largest casual games site, gamesindustry.biz
- March 2009, Spil Games wereldwijd nummer 1 in casual games
- March 2009, Spil Games Number 1
- September 2007, Gameportals Spill Group in Top 5 Comscore Game Metrix
- May 2014, Tweakers.net Dutch Game Maker Spil Games fires substantial portion of work force
- Spil Games Reorganizes (Dutch)
- Spil Games gets new mobile-savvy CEO
- Spil Games hires Bigpoint, Ubisoft vets
- Spil Games appoints ex-Top Eleven art director Aaron Magpayo as Global Art Director
- Spil Games announces Creature Family, a F2P reboot of the AI classic for 2017
- Atari founder Bushnell jumps into mobile with Spil Games
- Spil Games acquires male-oriented browser game portal Mousebreaker