Spillers Records, established in 1894, is recognised as the oldest record shop in the world.[notes 1] It is located in Cardiff, Wales. In addition to selling music, it is the city's main location for buying tickets for alternative music concerts.
Spillers was founded in 1894 by Henry Spiller at its original location in Queens Arcade, where the shop specialised in the sale of phonographs, wax phonograph cylinders and shellac phonograph discs. In the early 1920s, Spiller's son Edward took over the running of the business and, with the aid of the popular accordionist and bandleader Joe Gregory, sold musical instruments alongside the pre-recorded music. In the late 1940s, Henry moved the shop around the corner to a larger premises on The Hayes.
Since 2006 the shop's future was made uncertain when the site rent was increased by Spillers' landlords, Helical Bar, who stated that they are keen for the shop to survive. A local campaign to save the shop was initiated, including a petition initiated by Owen John Thomas (then the Assembly Member for South Wales Central), and supported by members of the Welsh Assembly, the Manic Street Preachers and Columbia Records. In 2010 Spillers moved to the nearby Morgan Arcade, initially on a temporary basis, with the expectation that the move will be made permanent if successful.
- "Oldest shop selling records". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- "The owners of Spillers Records, recognised by Guinness World Records as the oldest such emporium on Earth, say that it will close unless a buyer is found." "World's oldest record shop in the death grip of a developer", The Times, London, 1 December 2006.
- Cilia, Johnathan (21 July 2016). "The Search For The Oldest Record Store in the World". Trackage Scheme. The Search For The Oldest Record Store in the World. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "World's Oldest record shop ready for move", BBC Online – South East Wales, 25 June 2010.
- "World's oldest record store bans Morrissey sales over far-right support".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Spillers Records.|