Spinach soup is a soup prepared using spinach as a primary ingredient. A common dish around the world, the soup can be prepared as a broth-based or cream-based soup, and the latter can be referred to as "cream of spinach soup." In China, a spinach and tofu soup is also known as "emerald and white jade soup"; spinach and tofu represent emerald and white jade respectively, and thus the spinach soup itself can be called "emerald soup". Fresh, canned or frozen spinach can be used, and the spinach can be used whole, puréed or chopped. Additional ingredients can include onion, green onion, carrot, celery, tomatoes, potatoes, lemon juice, olive oil, seasonings, salt and pepper. In many countries like India, people consider 'milk' to be the main ingredient in spinach soup. they call it "palak soup". Spinach soup is typically served hot, but can also be served as a cold soup. Prior to being served, it can be topped or garnished with ingredients such as sour cream and crème fraîche.
Spinach soup with garnishes
Spinach soup with tofu
Green garlic and spinach soup, topped with crème fraîche
- Spitler, S.; Yoakam, L.R. (2015). 1,001 Delicious Soups and Stews: From Elegant Classics to Hearty One-Pot Meals. 1,001. Agate Publishing. p. pt513. ISBN 978-1-57284-748-4.
- Briggs, E. (2008). The Bride's Cook Book. Cooking in America. Applewood Books. p. 122. ISBN 978-1-4290-1259-1.
- "The Fountain on Locust's Cream of Spinach Soup". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. January 12, 2016. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Deh-Ta Hsiung; Nina Simonds (2001). The Food of China. London: bay books. p. 60. ISBN 9780681025844.
- Parkinson, Rhpnda (2003). The Everything Chinese Cookbook. Avon, MA: Adams Media. p. 63. ISBN 9781580629546.
- Parker-Pope, Tara (March 15, 2016). "Soup Up Your Spinach". The New York Times. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "Savory Cream of Spinach Soup". Mother Nature Network. December 5, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Agarwal, S. (2014). Unjunked: Healthy eating for weight loss. Jaico Publishing House. p. 76. ISBN 978-81-8495-566-8.
- Kamal, Farah S (February 23, 2011). "Deliciously healthy spinach soup". The Express Tribune. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "The Palak Soup Recipe | An Enemy Of Cancer [Not Kidding]". Healthy Soup Recipes. Retrieved 2020-03-18.
- Child, Julia (2012). Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. p. pt58. ISBN 978-0-307-95818-1.
- Molokhovets, E.; Toomre, J. (1998). Classic Russian Cooking: Elena Molokhovets' a Gift to Young Housewives. Indiana-Michigan Series in Russian and East European Studies. Indiana University Press. p. 589. ISBN 978-0-253-21210-8.
- Chase, A. (1959). Nutrition for Health. Comet Press. p. 325.
- Soup. DK Publishing. 2009. p. 124. ISBN 978-0-7566-6549-4.
|This soup-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|