Spiral (2007 film)
Promotional poster for the film
|Directed by||Joel David Moore
|Produced by||Cory Neal
Jeremy Danial Boreing
|Written by||Jeremy Danial Boreing
Joel David Moore
Joel David Moore
|Music by||Todd Caldwell
Michael "Fish" Herring
|Edited by||Cory Livingston|
|Box office||$3,072 (USA)|
Spiral is a 2007 American psychological thriller produced by Coattails Entertainment and Ariescope Pictures. The film stars Joel David Moore, Amber Tamblyn, Zachary Levi, and Tricia Helfer. Spiral was co-directed by Moore and Adam Green. The original screenplay for the film was written by Moore and Jeremy Danial Boreing.
Spiral was an Official Selection and was awarded the "Gold Vision" Award at the 22nd Annual Santa Barbara International Film Festival in 2007. The "Gold Vision" Award is given for the "most innovative and unique film with an inspiring and groundbreaking vision."
The story follows lonely introvert Mason, a telesales insurance company worker by day and talented painter as well as a lover of classic jazz by night. His only friend is his boss, Berkeley (Levi), who keeps an eye on him and humors his bizarre behavior. When awkward Mason meets social Amber, a new co-worker, he begins to come out of himself, and reveals the depth and darkness of his mind.
- Joel David Moore as Mason
- Amber Tamblyn as Amber
- Zachary Levi as Berkeley
- Tricia Helfer as Sasha
- David Muller as Will
- Annie Neal as Diana
Because jazz is such an important part of the plot, Joel David Moore wanted to use a completely original score. It was composed by Todd Caldwell and Michael Herring. It features Brad Leali on alto sax, Jay DaVersa on trumpet, Royce Chambers playing tenor and soprano sax, Todd's father Don Caldwell on tenor sax, and Ted Greenberg on drums.
The film received mixed reviews from critics. As of February 17, 2008, the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported that 60% of critics gave the film positive reviews, based on 5 reviews. Metacritic reported the film had a weighted average score of 40 out of 100, based on 4 reviews.
- "Spiral + Bad Santa with Joel David Moore". Double Feature (Podcast). February 12, 2009. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- Kerns, William (July 9, 2006). "The Feeling of Intensity: Jazz Musician Todd Caldwell pours hundreds of hours into film". Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- "Spiral - Movie Reviews, Trailers, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- "Spiral (2008): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- Spiral at the Internet Movie Database
- Spiral at Box Office Mojo
- Spiral at Rotten Tomatoes
- Spiral at Metacritic
- Spiral at AllMovie