|Founded||1857 as The Laclede Gas Light Company|
St. Louis, Missouri,
|St. Louis, Missouri|
Kansas City, Missouri
|Suzanne Sitherwood (CEO)|
|Services||Natural gas distribution|
|Revenue||$1.741 Billion (2017)|
|$0.322 Billion (2017)|
|$0.162 Billion (2017)|
|Total assets||$6.547 Billion (2017)|
|Total equity||$1.991 Billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Alabama Gas Corporation (Alagasco)|
Laclede Gas Company
Spire Inc. (NYSE: SR) is a public utility holding company based in St. Louis, Missouri, providing natural gas service through its regulated core utility operations while engaging in non-regulated activities that provide business opportunities. Its primary subsidiary Laclede Gas Company is the largest natural gas distribution utility in Missouri, serving approximately 631,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in the City of St. Louis and ten counties in eastern Missouri. Its corporate headquarters is located in the 700 Market building in downtown St. Louis.
The company was one of the original 12 industrial companies that made up the Dow Jones Industrial Average but was removed in 1899.[better source needed] On December 7, 2009, executives from The Laclede Group visited the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) to ring the closing bell and commemorate the company’s 120th anniversary of trading on the exchange. The Company first listed its stock on November 14, 1889, making it the 8th-oldest listed stock on the NYSE.
On April 28, 2016, The Laclede Group shareholders approved renaming the company to Spire. Later in 2016, Spire acquired Energy South, Inc from Sempra U.S. Gas & Power, the parent company of Mobile Gas and Willmut Gas. Mobile Gas operates in Mobile, AL while Willmut gas operates in Hattiesburg, MS.
- "Spire Officers". Spire Energy. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Spire Reports 2017 Results". Spire Inc. 2017-11-15. Retrieved 2017-12-06.
- "2016 Annual Report for Spire Inc" (PDF). Spire Inc. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Laclede News Release". Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- Dow Jones Industrial Average#History
- Weiderman, Greta (2013-09-03). "Laclede closes on $975 million acquisition of Missouri Gas Energy". St. Louis Business Journal. Retrieved 2015-02-14.
- Company Press Release. "The Laclede Group Acquires Alabama Gas Corporation". Laclede Group Inc. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Group, Spire Inc ; The Laclede. "The Laclede Group is Now Spire". www.prnewswire.com.
- "Sempra U.S. Gas & Power Closes Sale of Parent Company of Mobile Gas and Willmut Gas". Retrieved 5 May 2017.