Spirit Caravan performing in 2014
|Origin||Potomac, Maryland, United States|
|Genres||Doom metal, stoner rock|
|Years active||1996–2002, 2014–present|
|Labels||Tolotta, Tee Pee Records, MeteorCity|
|Associated acts||The Obsessed, Saint Vitus, The Hidden Hand, Wretched, Earthride, Place of Skulls, Unorthodox, Pentagram, Valkyrie, Nitroseed|
|Past members||Gary Isom
Scott "Wino" Weinrich formed Spirit Caravan after the breakup of The Obsessed. The remainder of the band consisted of Dave Shermann (formerly of Wretched) on bass and vocals; and Gary Isom (formerly of Unorthodox) on drums. Weinrich credits them for encouraging him to join the band and become active musically again, after he had abandoned his music career. The band was originally entitled Shine, and they released a demo and 7" under this name. They were forced to change to the band's name when another band of the same name threatened legal action. They changed their name to Spirit Caravan, after an Obsessed song. The band had a lyrical emphasis on spirituality (though not necessarily religion) and global politics. The band split up in 2002 but have reunited for US tour dates and European festival appearances in 2014.
After the band's demise, Weinrich joined Place of Skulls and founded The Hidden Hand. After The Hidden Hand's demise in 2007, Weinrich rejoined the reactivated Saint Vitus. Sherman went on to found the band Earthride. Isom joined Internal Void, Pentagram, Valkyrie and Nitroseed.
Their song "Dove-Tongued Aggressor" was featured on the Tony Hawk's American Wasteland soundtrack.
Numerous songs by Spirit Caravan were also recorded as songs for The Obsessed. "Kill Ugly Naked" from Jug Fulla Sun appears on various demos and live recordings along with the "Incarnate" compilation. "Fear's Machine" from Jug Fulla Sun was originally written for the Obsessed and appears on the "Incarnate" compilation. "Melancholy Grey" from Jug Fulla Sun was written in the same sessions as 1994's "The Church Within" and appears on the 2013 reissue of that album."Higher Power" from Dreamwheel appears on the Obsessed's 1982 demo. "Spirit Caravan" from Elusive Truth appears on "Incarnate". "Lifer City" from Elusive Truth appears on various demos and the unreleased Obsessed LP sent to Metal Blade.
Former Obsessed drummer Ed Gulli will be joining Spirit Caravan on drums for the Maryland Doom Fest in June 2015. He was replaced in 2016 by drummer Brian Costantino.
Wino announced in 2016 that Spirit Caravan would become the new lineup of The Obsessed.
- Scott Weinrich – guitar and vocals (1996–2002, 2014–present)
- Dave Sherman – bass and vocals (1996–2002, 2014–present)
- Brian Costantino – drums (2016–present)
- "Lost Sun Dance" 7" (as Shine) (1998 Tolotta Records)
- Dreamwheel CDEP/10"EP (1999 MeteorCity Records)
- "Darkness and Longing" 7" split with Sixty Watt Shaman (1999 Tee Pee Records)
- "So Mortal Be" 7" (2002 Tolotta Records)
- "Lost Sun Dance" (as Shine) on Stoned Revolution – The Ultimate Trip CD/2LP (1998 Drunken Maria Records)
- "Powertime" (as Shine) on Metal Injection CD (1998 Bad Posture Records)
- "The Departure" on Rise 13 CD (1999 Rise Above Records)
- "Wicked World" on Sucking the 70's 2CD (2002 Small Stone Records)
- "Dove-Tongued Aggressor," "No Hope Goat Farm" and "Re-Alignment/Higher Power" on ...And Back to Earth Again 3CD (2007 MeteorCity Records)
- King of the Stone Age Washington City Paper November 3, 2000 (Retrieved October 6, 2015)
- Spirit Caravan biography at MusicMight