Spirit River, Alberta
|Town of Spirit River|
|Municipal district||Municipal District of Spirit River No. 133|
|• Village||June 13, 1916|
|• Town||September 18, 1951|
|• Mayor||Allan J. Georget|
|• Governing body||Spirit River Town Council|
|• Land||3.14 km2 (1.21 sq mi)|
|Elevation||640 m (2,100 ft)|
|• Density||317.3/km2 (822/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
Spirit River is a town in northern Alberta, Canada. It is located 78 km (48 mi) north of Grande Prairie at the junction of Highway 49 and Highway 731. The first school opened in 1910 and the railroad arrived in 1916.
In the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Town of Spirit River recorded a population of 995 living in 442 of its 487 total private dwellings, a −2.9% change from its 2011 population of 1,025. With a land area of 3.14 km2 (1.21 sq mi), it had a population density of 316.9/km2 (820.7/sq mi) in 2016.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Spirit River had a population of 1,025 living in 425 of its 471 total dwellings, a -10.7% change from its 2006 population of 1,148. With a land area of 2.81 km2 (1.08 sq mi), it had a population density of 364.8/km2 (944.7/sq mi) in 2011.
The community is largely agricultural, being located in the fertile Peace Country. It also features an active oil and gas industry. Together with Rycroft, Spirit River services an area of approximately 10,000 people.
In 1891, a trading post became the original settlement along the banks of the Spirit River. Ranching in the area started as early as the 1840s and farming in the 1880s. In 1915, to the northwest, on Section 22, the Edmonton, Dunvegan and British Columbia Railway subdivided a townsite called Spirit River Station. The residents and storekeepers at the old settlement then moved, creating a village in 1916. On February 16 of that year, the Herald Tribune reported that McRae & Co. opened a general store. Spirit River was incorporated as a town in 1951.
In October 2013, a pipeline inspection crew working in the Saddle Hills area southwest of Spirit River unearthed a 10-metre long dinosaur fossil. It was later confirmed to be that of the duck-billed hadrosaur.
The Town of Spirit River, along with the Municipal District of Spirit River celebrated its centennial anniversary in August 2016.
The Municipal District of Spirit River No. 133's municipal office is located in Spirit River. It is also home to the Peace-Wapiti School Board and provincial offices for Alberta Agriculture and Fish and Wildlife.
A paved airport accommodates medical emergency flights and private aircraft.
The town features a curling rink, arena, outdoor pool, library, museum and community hall.
- Health care
Spirit River is home to a hospital, the Central Peace Health Complex. A new medical clinic is scheduled for completion in 2017.
- Igor Alexeyevich Kapral, better known as Hilarion Kapral, a bishop of ROCOR
- Tim Howar, singer and dancer, known as a London-based rock vocalist with Mike + the Mechanics
- "Location and History Profile: Town of Spirit River" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. October 7, 2016. p. 576. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. June 23, 2017. Retrieved June 25, 2017.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- "Alberta Private Sewage Systems 2009 Standard of Practice Handbook: Appendix A.3 Alberta Design Data (A.3.A. Alberta Climate Design Data by Town)" (PDF) (PDF). Safety Codes Council. January 2012. pp. 212–215 (PDF pages 226–229). Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Spirit River History Book Committee (1989). Chepi sepe : Spirit River : the land, the people. p. 16. ISBN 0-88925-781-7.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Spirit River and District Museum". Retrieved 2012-08-02.