Spital railway station
|Classification||DfT category E|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
Spital railway station, on the former main line from Birkenhead Woodside to London Paddington, is situated near Bebington on the Wirral Peninsula, England in the small suburb of Spital. The station is located on the Wirral Line operated by Merseyrail and there are frequent third rail electric train services to Liverpool, Chester and Ellesmere Port.
The station is staffed, during all opening hours, and has platform CCTV. There is a payphone, a vending machine and a booking office. There are departure and arrival screens on the platforms for passenger information. Each of the two platforms has sheltered seating. The station has a car park, with 141 spaces, a cycle rack with 14 spaces, and a secure cycle locker with 30 spaces. Access to the station booking office is straightforward. There is no easy access for passengers with wheelchairs or prams to the platforms, as this is by staircase only.
Trains run to Liverpool at a frequency of approximately every 10 minutes and a service to Chester every 15 minutes on weekdays and Saturdays until late evening when the service to each destination becomes half-hourly, as it is on Sundays. Additionally there is a half-hourly service to Ellesmere Port all day, every day. Northbound trains operate via Hamilton Square station in Birkenhead and the Mersey Railway Tunnel to Liverpool. Southbound trains all proceed as far as Hooton, where the lines to Chester and Ellesmere Port divide. These services are all provided by Merseyrail's fleet of Class 507 and Class 508 EMUs.
- Station Facilities for Spital Accessed 2013-12-20
- Spital train station facilities, Merseyrail Accessed 2013-12-20
- "£400k project expands car parks for Spital station". www.railtechnologymagazine.com. Retrieved 22 February 2020.
- Spital Station Plan Accessed 2013-12-20
- "Wirral Line timetable" (PDF). Merseyrail. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2012). Chester to Birkenhead. Middleton Press. figs. 52-55. ISBN 9781908174215. OCLC 811323335.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Spital railway station.|
- Station information for Spital railway station from Merseyrail
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
towards Chester or Ellesmere Port
towards Liverpool Central
Line and station open
|GWR & LNWR
Chester and Birkenhead Railway
Line and station open