Arnout van Meer
|Headquarters||Bromley, London, England|
|Products||Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars
Number of employees
Splash Damage is a Chinese owned British video game developer that specializes in multiplayer first-person shooter video games. The studio is best known as the creator of the Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.
Splash Damage was formed in May 2001 by the creators of mods such as Quake 3 Fortress. The studio began life working with Now TV and Gamer.tv, providing both custom maps and an in-game television production solution. Splash Damage staff also worked to produce and present over 150 TV shows based on Quake III Arena Capture the Flag.
In March 2002, Splash Damage partnered with Games Domain to produce a number of multiplayer maps for their online gaming service. One of these was a map for id Software's Return to Castle Wolfenstein based on Operation Market Garden; this map was hugely successful online and instantly became the most played third-party map for the game.
Following Market Garden's success, Activision and id Software asked Splash Damage to produce three additional multiplayer maps for the Return to Castle Wolfenstein Game of the Year Edition. The same year, Splash Damage partnered with the two companies to develop Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, a stand-alone expansion based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The Windows version of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was released online for free on 29 May 2003, with Linux and Mac versions following later. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory won several Game of the Year and Editor's Choice awards and remains one of the most popular online first-person shooter titles.
In June 2003 and once again working with id Software, Splash Damage created all the maps for Doom 3's multiplayer mode and at the same time began pre-production on Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, a follow-up to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory using a heavily modified version of the id Tech 4 engine and set in the QUAKE universe. Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars shipped on 28 September 2007, and has won dozens of awards to date, including several Game of the Year awards and over 25 Editor's Choice awards.
|2002||Return to Castle Wolfenstein (multiplayer)||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|2003||Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|2004||Doom 3 (multiplayer)||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|2007||Enemy Territory: Quake Wars||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|2013||Batman: Arkham Origins (multiplayer)||No||No||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|2015||Gears of War: Ultimate Edition||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|2016||Gears of War 4 ||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|2008||Develop Industry Excellence Award for Best Independent Studio||Won|
|2008||Ultraweb Level 4 Award||Won|
|2008||Golden Joystick award for UK Developer of the Year||Nominated|
|2009||Guardian Top 100 UK Tech & Media Companies||Won|
The full list of awards can be found on their web site.
- "Official Splash Damage Studio Profile". Splash Damage. 2010-03-15. Retrieved 2010-03-15.
- "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory awards". Splash Damage. 2008-08-04. Retrieved 2008-08-04.
- "GameSpy Statistics". GameSpy. 2008-08-07. Retrieved 2008-08-07.
- "Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars awards". Splash Damage. 2008-08-04. Retrieved 2008-08-04.
- RAD Soldiers is Now Available Worldwide!
- Splash Damage's Newest Shooter is Dirty Bomb!
- The wait is over, Tempo has officially launched on the iOS App Store!
- Chapple, Craig (June 17, 2015). "Splash Damage working on Gears of War: Ultimate Edition". Develop. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "UK-based Splash Damage is working on Gears of War 4 multiplayer". Videogamer.com. March 15, 2016. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- "Develop Awards 08 crown best UK development talent". Intent Media. 2008-07-31.
- "Ultraweb Level 4 Award 2008". Ultraweb. 2008-08-25. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- "Golden Joystick Awards 2008 Short List Voting Page". Future Publishing Ltd. 2008-08-04.
- "The top 100 tech media companies". The Guardian. 2009-10-08.
- Splash Damage Awards