|Genre||Children's Game show|
Mark J.W. Bishop|
|Directed by||Rae Upton|
Jason Agnew and Matt Chin (Canada)|
Dick and Dom (UK)
Kayne Tremills and Scott Tweedie (Australia)
|Country of origin||
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||52 (inc. 1 special)|
Alan Bishop (challenge producer)|
Mark J.W. Bishop
|Location(s)||Amaranth, Ontario, Canada|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Picture format||16:9 (1080i HDTV)|
|Original release||March 14, 2011– present|
Splatalot! is a Canadian-British-Australian co-produced medieval-themed physical game show for kids, which premiered in Canada on YTV on March 14, 2011, hosted by Jason Agnew and Matt Chin. The UK and Australian broadcasts of the show used the same filmed footage as the original Canadian show, but with their own local presenters providing commentary. It premiered in the United Kingdom on CBBC on June 13, 2011 with Dick and Dom as hosts and in Australia on ABC3 on November 5, 2011 with Kayne Tremills and Scott Tweedie as hosts. The series was a copy of Wipeout, designed for children's audiences.
Splatalot! was produced by Marblemedia, commissioned as an international co-production by YTV, CBBC and ABC3. It featured a large, extreme obstacle course and three rounds of competition: Cross the Moat, Ditch the Dungeon (Escape the Stockade in the first series), and Capture the Crown. Each episode featured a different group of 12 teenage contestants (known as Attackers) competing against not only the obstacles and the clock, but also the Defenders. The Defenders are an international squad of nine medieval themed gladiators, who are tasked with protecting the castle from the Attackers. The winning Attacker is crowned King or Queen of Splatalot!.
In late 2017, Marblemedia confirmed it was developing a family-oriented revival set to begin shooting in the summer of 2018.
- 1 Production
- 2 The Attackers
- 3 The Defenders
- 4 Rounds in Splatalot
- 5 Interactive
- 6 Episodes
- 7 International broadcast
- 8 Controversy
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The series was produced using a 2.5 acre set built on a 50 acre lot owned by Marblemedia in Amaranth, Ontario, Canada and featured contestants from Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. The company had spent a year collaborating with theme park engineers to design the course.
The first season, consisting of 26 episodes, was shot on location in September and October 2010. On February 3, 2012 the series was renewed for a 26 episode second season. It was shot the following summer.
Contestants, known as "Attackers" were drawn from schools and sports clubs from across Canada, United Kingdom and Australia. They consist of children aged 12 and up. A different group of attackers feature in every episode.
Splatalot! featured a recurring cast of Defenders, consisting of six charismatic young adults. Each episode featured 3 Defenders per round, (but all six on the Final) ensuring that the audiences never sees the same lineup twice. Each Defender has their own unique persona, colour, costume and signature weapon - they work together to incite laughter and most importantly, impede the Attackers until one of them proves that he or she is worthy of the crown of Splatalot!.
In season 2, Knightress, Shaiden, Ballista, Tinkor, Gildar and Crocness have left the show but they will be back for Splatalot's Return on BYUtv. Only Kook, Thorne and Skabb Remain from season 1, with Madeva, Faetal and Vane coming in as replacements. Gildar appears for The 'Celebrity Splatdown' only to announce his departure from the show and was mentioned in ‘Teachers Vs Students Splatdown’.
The Defenders are:
- Thorne (played by Elliott Francis) – An English Warrior. The self-proclaimed bad boy of the group. The Defender who is in a permanent bad mood, brooding and grumbling wherever he roams. With his maniacal mohawk and his blue streaked face, Thorne rarely finds joy in anything, but stopping attackers from claiming the crown. His weapon of choice is a spiked mace. When he is in stage 1 he likes to use the fog gun. He is also a 'gentleman' as he says in "We are not alone" where he helps one of the girls up the wall.
- Madeva (played by Alexia Khadime) – A crazy female Dragonslayer. The new leader of the defenders. Her weapon of choice is a giant claymore.
- Vane (played by Eric Johnston) – A lazy, greedy and talented yet vain archer who would rather eat a sandwich than defend the castle. Weapon of choice is a crossbow-styled cannon. He wears sunglasses with his name on them.
- Faetal (played by Nicole Powell) – A charming Amazon who feels all attackers are her favorite. Her Weapons of choice is a dagger and shield
- Kookaburra (played by James Elmer) – A wacky Australian guy and the team's joker in the pack who has a bird-like design, often nicknamed 'Kook'. His Weapon of choice is a slingshot, and he is probably the most successful defender on the whole show, though he can act awkward and silly at times; for example, he uses cheerleading chants in the "Parents & Kids Splatdown." He is revealed to have a crush on Shaiden, was once called a green-haired freak, and is known to trick the attackers; for example, pretending the cannon is not working in Round 3, with the defender wanting to seize the "chance". However, when they go, he is revealed to be faking; he presses the button and makes the attacker fall off.
- Skabb (played by Wendo Mhogolo) – An extremely violent, Australian barbarian whose real name is revealed to be Alan "Skabb" Tonelli. He's the most dangerous and aggressive of the defenders and is known for being the castle bully. Although he is brutal in his defending, he is known to occasionally have a soft side, which is revealed in a number of episodes. His weapon of choice is a club but he is dangerous with every weapon. He also tends to scare the Attackers and the Defenders without fail.
Rounds in Splatalot
Round 1: Cross the Moat
Round One sees the Attackers challenged with overcoming a series of large obstacles consisting of barrels, the battle axes, and the defenders. Looking at time in this round as the fastest six attackers move on to the next round.
Round 2: Ditch The Dungeon (Escape the Stockade in the first series)
Contestants must go up a long staircase but, the defenders make the stairs really slippery by using the trademark slime balls, a foam gun and the Vile Volley. Also, the Defender at the top of the stairs uses the Purple Plague (a cart full of purple balls) and the Balls of Doom. The fastest four Attackers to overcome the obstacles, ditches the dungeon and capture the four flags advance to Round 3.
Round 3: Capture the Crown
In Round 3, the remaining four Attackers must race across the obstacle-ridden courtyard, up to the tower where the crown lies in wait. In their path are all 6 Defenders from both rounds taking up various positions around the courtyard, wielding various weapons and devices to impede the Attackers' progress. In the end, only one Attacker will make it past the Defenders and capture the crown, winning this week's episode.
As a companion website to the TV series, Splatalot.com featured Flash games and behind-the-scenes bonus material, as well as Defender and Host bios and other features. In 2013, the Splatalot! Dash! mobile game was released on iOS and Android platforms. It was followed by Splatalot Attack: A Hero RPG in 2017.
This series of online games emulates the athleticism and strategy an Attacker would need to be victorious on Splatalot!. In all, nine stand-alone Flash games are featured that allow users to play as either an Attacker or a Defender. Users have the option of combining their scores to build up their Splatalot! "Coat of Arms."
Tour the Castle
Users can view floor plans, conceptual drawings and photos of the castle and obstacle course.
Behind the Defenders
Users can watch bonus video content of the Defenders, as well as view their stats and read their back-stories, similar to that of professional athletes.
A video highlight reel creator which lets users edit and create their own colour commentary and music to their favorite clips from the TV show. Updated weekly with new clips, users could also share their creations with friends.
There are different attackers in each episode (12 in Series 1 & 10 in Series 2). These are the attackers in each episode.
- Outnumbered, Outplayed and Outwelmed: Matt, Gita, Laura, Addison, Jordan, Ashley, Tyler, Michelle, Jackie, Charlie, Wesley & Alex. Winner: Wesley
- Feel the Thunder: Nick, Ada, Charlie, Anthony, Josephine, Liam, Tyler, Breanna, Janel, Melanie, Heather & Jonathan. Winner: Charlie
- Sarthak: The Situation: Ravina, Jacob, Autumn, Liam, Preslee, Sarthak, Maddie, Martin, Ethan, John, Sharissa & Haley. Winner: Jacob
- Dilgar and Tam: Ivanka, Sarah, Shaqeel, Tariq, Denver, Michael, Kristen, Kayla, Samantha, Liam, Cole & Ashley. Winner: Tariq
- Talk to the Barrel: Aileen, Marlin, Jennifer, Arnay, Janice, Erblin, Matt, Ala, Megan, George, Stephanie & Rob. Winner: Jennifer
- And the Splatty Goes to: Derek, Tamia, Kristine, Dylan, Adam, Tianna, Matt, Carolina, Jamie, Ryan, Jacy & Courtney. Winner: Jamie
- Episodious Splaticus: Adriana, Nicholas, Mouzhan, Trevon, Shae, Alexander, Anneke, Ajay, Asha, Graham, Hannah & Bradley. Winner: Trevon
- Allan Skabb Tonelli: Ellie, Amy, Sam, Emily, Caitlin, Kyle, Sydney, Jacqueline, Steven, Jamie, Deken & Kirsten. Winner: Steven
- Splat of the Penguins: Sandra, Henok, Joel, Kaitlyn, Jake, Yasmin, Ashley, Sofia, Shayne, Dylan, Samantha & Taylor. Winner: Taylor
- Splatter's Delight: Lizzie, Brad, Jonathan, Lory, Jamie, Clayton, Aaron, Rachel, Laurent, Sophie, Caroline & Keanna. Winner: Caroline
- Barrel of Love: Madisyn, Sydney, Chanelle, Craig, Rachel, Graham, Marianna, Megan, Steven, Patrick, Mariko & Chris. Winner: Patrick
- Horseshoes and Volleyball: Jenna, Timmy, Sneha, Tristan, Scott, Christine, Mikaela, Patrick, Briane, Arthur, William & Zachery. Winner: Jenna
- Party Like It's 19.99: Connor, Sebastien, Shaun, Nakita, Madison, Kyle, Charlie, Samuel, Keisha, Harleen, Cidnee & Mikayla. Winner: Samuel
- Country Style: Jacob, Cassidy, Spencer, Greg, Meagan, Paige, Samantha, Paige II, Darrin, Wyatt, Daniel & Tracy. Winner: Meagan
- The Finger Dance: Justin, Cameron, Patricia, Nicole, Mackenzie, Sebastian, Thompson, Monique, Michelle, Samantha, Sarah & Curtis. Winner: Mackenzie
- Shoved By a Rainbow: Kyle, Tressa, Corey, Tamara, Maha, Nathan, Hazel, Jacob, Colleen, Andrea, John & Carly. Winner: John
- Revenge of the Nerds: Emily, Alexander, Jordan, Kaylee, Campbell, Hannah, Sarah, Matthew, Benita, Connor, Kiara & Rossi. Winner: Connor
- What Came First the Chicken or the Kook: Lucas, Nicole, Shania, Mitchell, Benito, Ana, Julian, Katrina, Taylor, Stefan, Audrey & Chyrelle. Winner: Katrina
- Let's Get Unitarded: Marco, Julian, Danielle, Travis, Jenn, Dominic, Sydney, Nicole, Olivia, Connor, Derek & Steven. Winner: Dominic
- Imposable is Nothing: Eli, Bradley, Holly, Carisa, Andrew, Sienna, Julia, Ian, Patrick, Drita, Taylor & Jamie. Winner: Bradley
- The Cookies Crumble: Estelle, Clare, Josh, Laurie, Alex, Olivia, Nicole, Adrian, Robyn, Julia, Janessa & Dustin. Winner: Dustin
- Gildar Has a Secret: Taylor, Devin, Dana, Austin, Madison, Michael, Carley Marie, Chris, Jesse, Carina, Tori & Mona. Winner: Chris
- Beaver Tales: Haley, Michael, Anish, Danielle, Kiana, Hannah, Sarah, Calvin, Corinne, Sofia, Steven & Brandon. Winner: Michael
- The Unhappy Dance: Kate, Sandra, Cole, Madison, Oliver, Amanda, John, Jenna, Jeff, Astrid, Amina & Jarid. Winner: John
- It's Taco Day: Erik, Emily, Carmen, Margaret, Sam, Stephanie, Michael, Sharon, Zaryn, Elijah, Ellen & Marcus. Winner: Erik
- Crocness and the Corner of Doom: Stacey, Kira, Fraser, Adrian, Nicholas, Ryan, Shanker, Madison, Breana, Ethan, Shaun & Lian. Winner: Nicholas
- You Simmer Down: Erica, Tobi, Taylor, Liam, Julia, Brandon, Brianna, Nehemiah, Justin & Tyke. Winner: Tyke
- Girls vs. Boys Splatdown: Asvini, Owen, Katherine, Ben, Tyson, Ayda, Daniel, Nina, Jayson & Breanne. Winner: Daniel
- Classic Nana: Isabella, Cameron, Elyjah, Brooke-Lynn, Sarah, Dustin, Brianna, Madison, Darren & Brendan. Winner: Elyjah
- Sleepy Matty: Tim, John, Celeste, Danielle, Judy, Heather, Sarah, Brandon, Brent & Matthew. Winner: Brandon
- You Bet Your Trousers: Nadia, Madison, Brooke, Jacob, Goran, Taylor, Saad, Marcus, Luke & Mikayla. Winner: Brooke
- We Are Not Alone: Tianna, Brendan, Stef, Caleb, Chloe, Tristan, Austin, Andrea, Kiyan & Mandy. Winner: Tristan
- Two Drawbridges Up: Forrest, Monica, Alyssa, Mitchell, Marco, Keara, Kylee, Taylor, Michaela & Mark. Winner: Taylor
- The Magic of Television: Kyra, Tristin, Mandy, Marco, Bianca, Jacob, Natasha, Iarin, Jordan & Robbie. Winner: Marco
- Splatalot Days & Splatalot Nights: Emily, Collin, Summer, Nic, Jordan, Mai, Tyrell, Alanna, Victoria & Joshua. Winner: Emily
- Of Mice and Splatmen: Cashmeira, Alexa, Jasmine, Brett, Travis, Keaton, Chris, Andrew, Grace & Craig. Winner: Cashmeira
- Nation vs. Nation Splatdown: Eftihia (Greece), Lara (Turkey), Jayden (Australia), Rebecca (USA), Leanne (UK), Dayton (Canada), Adrianna (Serbia), Veronika (Brazil), Jordan (Jamaica) & Joshua (Italy). Winner: Joshua
- When Hairy Met Matty: Christianna, Alexsandra, Joshua, Maarukh, Hasan, Rafael, Brittany, Carly, Tobias & Victoria. Winner: Tobias
- Dude, Where's My Crown?: Daniel, Seana, Markus, Jack, Victoria, Ashley, Cassidy, Turner, Princess & Bryan. Winner: Turner
- Twins vs. Twins Splatdown: Steph & Jillian, Steph & Sarah, Rane & Jared, Marwa & Elham and Aunna & James. Winners: Rane & Jared
- Teachers vs. Students Splatdown: Miss Melissa, Shaishav, Mr Chris, Mikayla, Ryleigh, Mr Dain, Olivia, Selwyn, Miss Jessie & Mr Charles. Winner: Mr Dain
- Best Friends Splatdown: Krystal & Dominique, Jared & Rajan, Taylor & Kyle, Mary & Connor and Wyatt & Noah. Winners: Mary & Connor
- Parents & Kids Splatdown: Charles & Dave, Dawn & Grant, Sam & Tracey, Adrea & Adler and Natasha & Rick. Winners: Charles & Dave
- Parents & Kids Splatdown 2: Sebastien & Jocelynne, Manny & Pearce, Randy & Juliet, Sandra & Victoria and James & Bryanna. Winners: Sebastien & Jocelynne
- Awesome Sandwich Club: Bailey, Jade, Cameron, Emma, Griffen, Elijah, Amanda, Chami, Ryan & Joshua. Winner: Griffen
- Car Trouble: Neil, Shantae, Ellie, Hannah, Kevin, Braden, Kayla, Sarah, Travis & Quinton. Winner: Neil
- Splatalot! Dancealot!: Keenan, Hannah, Shania, Parker, Alvan, Jor-El, Kelsey, Talia, Aimee & James. Winner: Parker
- Three Cheers for Everything: Lachlan, Anushka, Sarah, Kyle, Bronwyn, Kallie, Jastinder, Annupal, Samantha & Sam. Winner: Lachlan
- Bucket List: Check: Sean, Lauren, Owen, Keith, Tyler, Kaylin, Aliana, Christopher, Haley & Madison. Winner: Christopher
- Jay and the Madman: Aristasia, Reece, Liam, Taylor, Emily, Madison, Jack, Tyler, Rida & Brayden. Winner: Brayden
- Laundry Day: Nick, Jordan, Joycelynn, Soranne, Abby, Jacob, Michela, Nathan, Tyree & Dylan. Winner: Tyree
- Call Matt the Handyman Maybe: Paige, Teah, Giancarlo, Jenn, Jake, Hailey, Rahul, Arran, Breanne & Michael. Winner: Michael
On November 3, 2012, the "YTV's Celebrity Splatdown" special aired in Canada. The episode, which featured a live audience, pitted the cast from two of the channel's other original series, Life with Boys and Mr. Young, against one another in a competition for charity. Jason Agnew and Matt Chin provided on-set commentary while Crunch host Andrew Chapman interviewed contestants. Mr. Young star Brendan Meyer won the competition, with $3000 being donated to YMCA Canada.
The Canadian version premiered on Nickelodeon in the United States on July 17, 2012. The British version aired on Disney XD channels in the EMEA regions. Dutch broadcaster Z@PP filmed their own host segments with local talent Ron Boszhard and Viviënne van den Assem in 2012. Splatalot! has been seen in over 100 countries worldwide.
On March 13, 2018, BYUtv announced that they had acquired the rights to air the series in the United States. On April 2, the channel began running the show with new hosted segments starring Stacey Harkey and Tori Pence.
Following the conclusion of the second season's production in 2012, the show's unattended set in Amaranth, Ontario attracted the attention of trespassers. A YouTube video by user Bright Sun Films exploring the location garnered over 600,000 viewers before being pulled a year later at the request of Marblemedia. The set hadn't been dismantled as the producers continued to pursue a revival of the show. Due to safety concerns, the township's mayor has requested the presence of around the clock security.
- "Splatalot production information page".
- Halliday, Chris (November 8, 2017). "Marblemedia preparing to film new 'Splatalot Family' season at mothballed Dufferin County castle". Orangeville.com. Metroland Media Group. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Afan, Emily (September 29, 2010). "From 'Marble North' comes… Splatalot". Playback. Brunico Communications. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Calder, Kate (October 22, 2010). "Making the splats safe in Splatalot". Kidscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Halliday, Chris (September 13, 2010). "Splatalot begins filming in Amaranth". Orangeville.com. Metroland Media Group. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Dickson, Jeremy (February 3, 2012). "marblemedia's Splatalot renewed". Kidscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- "Start of Principal Photography Begins on Splatalot Season 2". Marblemedia. July 4, 2012. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- "Splatalot Catapults into Season 2 with YTV's Celebrity Splatdown Special". Corus Entertainment. October 19, 2012. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Peel, Sarah (July 19, 2012). "Nickelodeon Launches New Game Show – Splatalot". bsckids.com. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- Sweeney, Sean (February 9, 2012). "Disney picks up Splatalot". C21 Media. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Wolfe, Mary (May 3, 2012). "D360 Licenses 'Splatalot' for Dutch TV". Animation World Network. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Vlessing, Etan (July 16, 2012). "Distribution360 sells Splatalot to Nickelodeon". kidscreen.com. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- "BYUtv Expands Original Spring Programming Roster with Three New Co-Productions and Acquired Series". BYUtv. PRnewswire. March 13, 2018. Retrieved March 16, 2018.
- Halliday, Chris (November 28, 2016). "VIDEO: Dufferin County's castle without a kingdom attracts large YouTube following". Orangeville.com. Metroland Media Group. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- @BrightSunFilms (November 10, 2017). "Got an email today saying if I don't remove the Splatalot video by Monday, Marblemedia will be "forced to take legal action". I'm in a bit of a bind & the video is likely going to be taken down. Sorry guys" (Tweet). Retrieved April 5, 2018 – via Twitter.
- Halliday, Chris (November 23, 2017). "Township wants 24/7 security at YTV's 'Splatalot' game show castle". Orangeville.com. Metroland Media Group. Retrieved April 5, 2018.