|Traded as||NASDAQ: SPLK|
|Founders||Michael Baum, Rob Das and Erik Swan|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Products||Splunk Enterprise, Splunk Light, Splunk Cloud, Hunk|
|Revenue||US$949.95 Million (2016)|
Number of employees
Splunk is an American multinational corporation based in San Francisco, California, that produces software for searching, monitoring, and analyzing machine-generated big data, via a Web-style interface.
Splunk's mission is to make machine data accessible across an organization by identifying data patterns, providing metrics, diagnosing problems, and providing intelligence for business operations. Splunk is a horizontal technology used for application management, security and compliance, as well as business and Web analytics. As of early 2016, Splunk has over 10,000 customers worldwide.
Splunk is based in San Francisco, with regional operations across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia.
In September 2013 the company acquired Bugsense, a mobile-device data-analytics company. Bugsense provides "a mobile analytics platform used by developers to improve app performance and improve quality". It supplied a "software developer kit" to give developers access to data analytics from mobile devices that it managed from its scalable cloud platform. The acquisition amount was undisclosed.
In October 2015 Splunk sealed a "cybersecurity alliance" with U.S. government security contractor Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. to offer combined cyberthreat detection and intelligence-analysis technology.
Splunk's core offering, Splunk Enterprise, collects and analyzes high volumes of machine-generated data. It uses a standard API to connect directly to applications and devices. It was developed in response to the demand for comprehensible and actionable data reporting for executives outside a company's IT department.
In 2011, Splunk released Splunk Storm, a cloud-based version of the core Splunk product. Splunk Storm offered a turnkey, managed and hosted service for machine data. In 2013, Splunk announced that Splunk Storm would become a completely free service and expanded its cloud offering with Splunk Cloud. In 2015, Splunk shut down Splunk Storm.
In 2015, Splunk announced a Light version of the core Splunk product, aimed at smaller IT-environments and mid-sized enterprises.
In 2016, Google announced its cloud platform will integrate with Splunk to expand in areas like IT ops, security, and compliance.
Splunkbase is a community hosted by Splunk where users can go to find apps and add-ons for Splunk which can improve the functionality and usefulness of Splunk, as well as provide a quick and easy interface for specific use-cases and/or vendor products.
Splunk apps and add-ons can be developed by anyone, including Splunk themselves.
- CA, Inc.
- New Relic
- Riverbed Technology
- Sumo Logic
- "How Splunk Is Riding IT Search Toward an IPO — Tech News and Analysis". Gigaom.com. 2010-12-17. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Start-Ups Aim to Help Tame Corporate Data, Pui-Wing Tam, Wall Street Journal, September 08, 2009
- Woods, Dan (2011-01-06). "Business Intelligence and the Data Center". citoresearch.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-20.
- Central, CIO (2010-12-15). "How CIOs Should Be Helping Marketers". Forbes.
- "Splunk Inc. Announces Fiscal Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results". Splunk. 2015-11-19. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- Data Center Search Party: ComputerWorld
- Splunk search engine raises $25 million, IT PRO 12 Sep 2007
- "IT search company Splunk reaches profitability". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Rusli, Evelyn (2012-04-19). "Splunk Soars as Investors Embrace Data Boom". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Splunk Announces Agreement to Acquire BugSense". Splunk. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Splunk Acquires Bugsense". TechCrunch.
- "Splunk acquires cybersecurity startup Caspida for $190M". Venturebeat.
- "Angela Messer: Booz Allen-Splunk Cyber Alliance Blends Data, Experience". GovCon.
- Verhage, Julie (April 12, 2017). "These Are the Highest-Paying Companies in America". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved April 18, 2017.
- Olavsrud, Thor (23 September 2015). "Splunk updates platform, adds monitoring and analytics services". CIO. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Franklin Jr., Curtis (16 October 2015). "SAP, Splunk Dashboards Aim To Satisfy Data Hunger". InformationWeek. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Darrow, Barb (13 January 2012). "Splunk IPO explained and why it matters". GigaOM. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Splunk Storm brings log management to the cloud". InfoWorld. 2012-08-28.
- "Splunk Announces General Availability of Splunk Cloud". Wall Street Journal Marketwatch. 2013-10-01.
- "Splunk Storm service end of life".
- "Splunk Spawns Hunk Hadoop Tool". Information Week. 2013-06-18.
- "Splunk announces lower cost light version of its log analyticsl". Infoworld. 2015-03-10.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Google ramps up hybrid cloud security strategy with Splunk, BMC and Tenable partnerships". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- Splunk. "Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual". Splunk. Retrieved 2016-07-03.