|Traded as||NASDAQ: SPLK|
|Founders||Michael Baum, Rob Das and Erik Swan|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Products||Splunk Enterprise, Splunk LIght, Splunk Cloud, Hunk|
|Revenue||US$668.4 Million (2015)|
Number of employees
Splunk is an American multinational corporation based in San Francisco, California, that produces software for searching, monitoring, and analyzing machine-generated big data, via a web-style interface.
Splunk has a mission of making machine data accessible across an organization by identifying data patterns, providing metrics, diagnosing problems and providing intelligence for business operations. Splunk is a horizontal technology used for application management, security and compliance, as well as business and web analytics. As of early 2016, Splunk has over 10,000 customers worldwide.
Splunk is based in San Francisco, with regional operations across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia, and has over 1700 employees.
In September 2013 the company acquired Bugsense, a mobile-device data-analytics company. Bugsense provides "a mobile analytics platform used by developers to improve app performance and improve quality". It supplied a "software developer kit" to give developers access to data analytics from mobile devices that it managed from its scalable cloud platform. The acquisition amount was undisclosed.
In October 2015 Splunk sealed a "cybersecurity alliance" with U.S. government security contractor Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. to offer combined cyberthreat detection and intelligence-analysis technology.
Splunk's core offering, Splunk Enterprise, collects and analyzes high volumes of machine-generated data. It uses a standard API to connect directly to applications and devices. It was developed in response to the demand for comprehensible and actionable data reporting for executives outside a company's IT department.
In 2011, Splunk released Splunk Storm, a cloud-based version of the core Splunk product. Splunk Storm offers a turnkey, managed and hosted service for machine data. In 2013, Splunk announced that Splunk Storm would become a completely free service and expanded its cloud offering with Splunk Cloud.
In 2015, Splunk announced a Light version of the core Splunk product, aimed at smaller IT-environments and mid-sized enterprises.
In 2016, Google announced its cloud platform will integrate with Splunk to expand in areas like IT ops, security and compliance.
Splunkbase is a community hosted by Splunk where users can go to find apps and add-ons for Splunk which can improve the functionality and usefulness of Splunk, as well as provide a quick and easy interface for specific use-cases and/or vendor products. Examples of these applications are:
- Splunk Add-On for Microsoft Windows
- CIS Critical Security Controls
- Cisco Security Suite
- Gigamon Visability App for Splunk
Splunk apps and add-ons can be developed by anyone, including Splunk themselves.
Internet of Things
- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Department of Drainage and Sewage to send alerts
- Eglin Air Force Base for energy conservation
- Nest Labs to analyze thermostat data
- iRhythm to check on product performance
- Unnamed elevator company to monitor elevator usage
- "How Splunk Is Riding IT Search Toward an IPO — Tech News and Analysis". Gigaom.com. 2010-12-17. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Start-Ups Aim to Help Tame Corporate Data, Pui-Wing Tam, Wall Street Journal, September 08, 2009
- Woods, Dan (2011-01-06). "Business Intelligence and the Data Center". citoresearch.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-20.
- Central, CIO (2010-12-15). "How CIOs Should Be Helping Marketers". Forbes.
- "Splunk Inc. Announces Fiscal Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results". Splunk. 2015-11-19. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- Data Center Search Party: ComputerWorld
- Splunk search engine raises $25 million, IT PRO 12 Sep 2007
- "IT search company Splunk reaches profitability". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Rusli, Evelyn (2012-04-19). "Splunk Soars as Investors Embrace Data Boom". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Splunk Announces Agreement to Acquire BugSense". Splunk. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Splunk Acquires Bugsense". TechCrunch.
- "Splunk acquires cybersecurity startup Caspida for $190M". Venturebeat.
- "Angela Messer: Booz Allen-Splunk Cyber Alliance Blends Data, Experience". GovCon.
- Olavsrud, Thor (23 September 2015). "Splunk updates platform, adds monitoring and analytics services". CIO. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Franklin Jr., Curtis (16 October 2015). "SAP, Splunk Dashboards Aim To Satisfy Data Hunger". InformationWeek. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Darrow, Barb (13 January 2012). "Splunk IPO explained and why it matters". GigaOM. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Splunk Storm brings log management to the cloud". InfoWorld. 2012-08-28.
- "Splunk Announces General Availability of Splunk Cloud". Wall Street Journal Marketwatch. 2013-10-01.
- "Splunk Spawns Hunk Hadoop Tool". Information Week. 2013-06-18.
- "Splunk announces lower cost light version of its log analyticsl". Infoworld. 2015-03-10.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Google ramps up hybrid cloud security strategy with Splunk, BMC and Tenable partnerships". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- Splunk. "Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual". Splunk. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "Splunk CEO: Unintended use cases important to machine data business". Computer Weekly. 2013-04-30.
- "Sony uses Splunk for application availability". 2015-08-11.
- "Carriers call up mobile data". Financial Times. 2013-03-18.
- "Splunk Enterprise Helps Ceryx Achieve ROI of 200 percent". Information Technology. 2013-01-17.
- "SDenver Water Uses Big Data to Improve Efficiency". Government Technology Magazine. 2013-10-04.
- "Big data drives high performance for Cars.com". Information World. 2013-10-24.
- "Big data drives high performance for Cars.com". Fierce CIO. 2012-10-24.
- "Security tool delivers surprise insights to Domino's Pizza". Network World. 2012-12-02.
- "NPR Deploys Splunk for Web Analytics". CIO Magazine. 2011-03-24.
- Taylor, Tom (2016-01-20). "OK Computer: How computers will—and won't—change the NFL". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Erecting Operational Intelligence Using Machine Data". Datanami. 2013-04-09.
- "Eglin Air Force Base Deploys Sensors to Save Energy". Energy Manager Today. 2013-05-06.
- "Our connected future: what to expect when elevators and toys start phoning home". GigaOM. 2013-05-10.
- "Can Big Dats Help Universities Tackle Security BYOD?". CIO Magazine. 2012-07-31.
- "Can automated security put agencies a step ahead of the hackers?". GCN. 2013-06-14.
- "Barclays tackles complex regulatory environment with Splunk". Computerworld UK. 2013-04-18.
- "'Without Splunk we might be taken out of the market,' says Barclays". Computing Magazine UK. 2013-04-19.
- Shah, Sooraj (2014-10-07). "Credit Suisse saves £500k a month using Splunk, with Oracle database set to be decommissioned". Computing (magazine). Retrieved 2016-04-03. (subscription required (. ))
- "Monster Chooses Splunk For Big Data Security". Information Week Healthcare. 2012-11-14.
- "Sportsbet reduces pain of PCI compliance". CIO Magazine. 2013-05-09.