|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
Splunk Inc. is an American public multinational corporation based in San Francisco, California, that produces software for searching, monitoring, and analyzing machine-generated big data, via a Web-style interface.
Splunk's mission is to make machine data accessible across an organization by identifying data patterns, providing metrics, diagnosing problems, and providing intelligence for business operations. Splunk is a horizontal technology used for application management, security and compliance, as well as business and web analytics. As of early 2016, Splunk has over 10,000 customers worldwide.
Splunk is based in San Francisco, with regional operations across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Australia.
In September 2013 the company acquired Bugsense, a mobile-device data-analytics company. Bugsense provides "a mobile analytics platform used by developers to improve app performance and improve quality". It supplied a "software developer kit" to give developers access to data analytics from mobile devices that it managed from its scalable cloud platform. The acquisition amount was undisclosed.
In October 2015 Splunk sealed a "cybersecurity alliance" with U.S. government security contractor Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. to offer combined cyberthreat detection and intelligence-analysis technology.
In 2016, Splunk pledged to donate $100 million in software and support for nonprofits and schools over a 10-year period.
In October 2017, Splunk acquired certain technology and intellectual property assets from smaller rival Rocana.
On April 9, 2018 Splunk acquired Phantom Cyber Corporation for approximately US$350 million. 
|Version||Original release date||Latest version||Release date||Maintenance Status|
|Old version, no longer supported: 1.0||2005-12-01||No longer supported|
|Old version, no longer supported: 2.0||2006-05-01||No longer supported|
|Old version, no longer supported: 3.0||2007-08-06||3.4.13||2009-06-01||No longer supported|
|Old version, no longer supported: 4.0||2009-07-21||4.3.7||2012-01-10||No longer supported|
|Old version, no longer supported: 5.0||2012-10-30||5.0.18||2017-02-27||No longer supported|
|Older version, yet still supported: 6.0||2013-10-01||6.6.10||2018-09-07||Supported until 8.0|
|Current stable version: 7.0||2017-09-26||7.2.6||2019-04-15||Latest. Support is two years from minor version release date|
Version 6.1 was released on 6 May 2014, version 6.2 on 7 October 2014, version 6.3 on 22 September 2015, version 6.4 on 5 April 2016, version 6.5 on 27 September 2016, and version 6.6 on 2 May 2017.
Version 7.1 was released on 24 April 2018, version 7.2 on 2 October 2018 and version 7.3 on 4 June 2019.
Splunk's core offering collects and analyzes high volumes of machine-generated data. It uses a standard API to connect directly to applications and devices. It was developed in response to the demand for comprehensible and actionable data reporting for executives outside a company's IT department.
Splunk Enterprise Security (ES) is a security information and event management (SIEM) solution that provides insight into machine data generated from security technologies such as network, endpoint, access, malware, vulnerability and identity information. It is a premium application that is licensed independently from Splunk core.
In 2011, Splunk released Splunk Storm, a cloud-based version of the core Splunk product. Splunk Storm offered a turnkey, managed and hosted service for machine data. In 2013, Splunk announced that Splunk Storm would become a completely free service and expanded its cloud offering with Splunk Cloud. In 2015, Splunk shut down Splunk Storm.
In 2015, Splunk announced a Light version of the core Splunk product, aimed at smaller IT-environments and mid-sized enterprises. Splunk debuted Splunk IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) in September 2015. ITSI leverages Splunk data to provide visibility into IT performance. Software analytics can detect unusual behavior and determine its causes and the areas it affects.
In 2016, Google announced its cloud platform will integrate with Splunk to expand in areas like IT ops, security, and compliance. The company also announced additional machine learning capabilities for several of its major product offerings, which are installed on top of the platform.
In 2017, Splunk introduced Splunk Insights for ransomware, an analytics tool for assessing and investigating potential threats by ingesting event logs from multiple sources. The software is targeted toward smaller organizations like universities. The company also launched Splunk Insights for AWS Cloud Monitoring, a service to facilitate enterprises' migration to Amazon Web Services' cloud.
In 2018, Splunk introduced Splunk Industrial Asset Intelligence, which extracts information from IIoT(Industrial Internet of Things) data from various resources and presents its users with critical alerts.
Splunkbase is a community hosted by Splunk where users can go to find apps and add-ons for Splunk which can improve the functionality and usefulness of Splunk, as well as provide a quick and easy interface for specific use-cases and/or vendor products.
Splunk apps and add-ons can be developed by anyone, including Splunk themselves.
- "US SEC: Form 10-K Splunk Inc. (FY Jan. 31, 2018)". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. March 30, 2018. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- "How Splunk Is Riding IT Search Toward an IPO — Tech News and Analysis". Gigaom.com. December 17, 2010. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- Start-Ups Aim to Help Tame Corporate Data, Pui-Wing Tam, Wall Street Journal, September 08, 2009
- Woods, Dan (January 6, 2011). "Business Intelligence and the Data Center". citoresearch.com. Archived from the original on March 20, 2012.
- Central, CIO (December 15, 2010). "How CIOs Should Be Helping Marketers". Forbes.
- "Splunk Inc. Announces Fiscal Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results". Splunk. November 19, 2015. Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- Withers, Stephen (December 12, 2016). "Splunk opens new Melbourne HQ". iTWire. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Not to be confused with Rob Das, the Dutch film and television actor, director, and writer
- Data Center Search Party: ComputerWorld
- Splunk search engine raises US$25 million, IT PRO 12 Sep 2007
- "IT search company Splunk reaches profitability". VentureBeat. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- Rusli, Evelyn (April 19, 2012). "Splunk Soars as Investors Embrace Data Boom". The New York Times. Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- "Splunk Announces Agreement to Acquire BugSense". Splunk. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Splunk Acquires Bugsense". TechCrunch.
- "Splunk acquires cybersecurity startup Caspida for $190M". Venturebeat.
- "Angela Messer: Booz Allen-Splunk Cyber Alliance Blends Data, Experience". GovCon.
- Symington, Steve (October 6, 2016). "Why Splunk, Inc. Just Dedicated $100 Million to Philanthropy". The Motley Fool. Retrieved April 3, 2017.
- Verhage, Julie (April 12, 2017). "These Are the Highest-Paying Companies in America". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved April 18, 2017.
- Gagliordi, Natalie. "Splunk buys IP assets of smaller rival Rocana | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved November 15, 2017.
- "Splunk Closes Acquisition of Phantom". Splunk. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- "Splunk nabs on-call management startup VictorOps for $120M". TechCrunch. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- "Meet Splunk 4.3 - Splunk Documentation". docs.splunk.com. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- "Meet Splunk 5.0 - Splunk Documentation". docs.splunk.com. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- "Welcome to Splunk Enterprise 6.6 - Splunk Documentation". docs.splunk.com. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- "Welcome to Splunk Enterprise 7.2 - Splunk Documentation". docs.splunk.com. Retrieved April 25, 2019.
- Olavsrud, Thor (September 23, 2015). "Splunk updates platform, adds monitoring and analytics services". CIO. Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- Franklin Jr., Curtis (October 16, 2015). "SAP, Splunk Dashboards Aim To Satisfy Data Hunger". InformationWeek. Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- Darrow, Barb (January 13, 2012). "Splunk IPO explained and why it matters". GigaOM. Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- "Splunk Storm brings log management to the cloud". InfoWorld. August 28, 2012.
- "Splunk Announces General Availability of Splunk Cloud". Wall Street Journal Marketwatch. October 1, 2013.
- "Splunk Storm service end of life".
- "Splunk Spawns Hunk Hadoop Tool". Information Week. June 18, 2013.
- "Splunk announces lower cost light version of its log analyticsl". Infoworld. March 10, 2015.
- Olavsrud, Thor (September 23, 2015). "Splunk updates platform, adds monitoring and analytics services". CIO magazine. International Data Group. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Google ramps up hybrid cloud security strategy with Splunk, BMC and Tenable partnerships". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 23, 2016.
- Olavsrud, Thor (September 27, 2016). "Splunk puts machine learning at center of operational intelligence portfolio". CIO. International Data Group. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Carey, Scott (September 28, 2016). "Splunk brings machine learning capabilities into its tools and launches toolkit for customer's own algorithms". Computerworld UK. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Bolkan, Joshua (June 28, 2017). "Splunk Debuts New Security Tool for Ransomware". Campus Technology. Retrieved July 10, 2017.
- Tate, Emily (July 11, 2017). "Splunk releases solution that helps defend universities from ransomware". EdScoop. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Wheatley, Mike (August 14, 2017). "Splunk intros new monitoring tool for AWS cloud users". SiliconANGLE. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- "Splunk turns data processing chops to Industrial IoT – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- Splunk. "Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual". Splunk. Archived from the original on August 18, 2016. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- Dignan, Larry (March 22, 2017). "Splunk, New Relic forge integration pact". ZDNet. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Miller, Ron (January 5, 2017). "ForeScout-Splunk integration hopes to bring greater insight to IoT security". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Kepes, Ben (November 30, 2016). "Splunk goes down-market and leverages AWS' market dominance". Computerworld. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Official website
- Business data for Splunk Inc.: