|Headquarters||Neratovice, Czech Republic|
|Revenue||CZK 5.6 bn (2012)|
|CZK (0.2) bn (2012)|
|Total assets||CZK 2.1 bn (2012)|
|Total equity||CZK (0.1) bn (2012)|
Number of employees
The chemical factory is situated approximately 25 kilometres north of Prague at the confluence of the Košátecký Brook and the River Elbe. It hit the headlines in 2002 when the river flooded and the Spolana plant found itself under water.
Between 1965 and 1968 Spolana produced the chlorine herbicide 2,4,5-T. The former communist regime delivered it through various traders to Vietnam, where U.S. Army used it as a component for Agent Orange. During production, a huge amount of dioxins were created and the former factory buildings are one of the most contaminated places on the Earth. In the years 1964 to 1968 about 80 people from Spolana suffered from dioxin contamination. 55 of them were hospitalised. Besides the victims amongst Spolana workers, also American soldiers and Vietnamese were contaminated with dioxins in herbicides used for the Agent Orange production.
In 2004 published State Health Authority study, which analysed the level of toxic substances in human blood near Spolana. According to study is dioxin level in blood in Neratovice, Libiš and Tišice about twice the level of those from the control group in Benešov. Quantity of dioxin chemicals near Spolana is significantly higher than background level in another countries, e.g., United States, Japan or Spain. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency even the background level can cause the risk of cancer 1:1000 up to 1: 10000, i.e., about 100x higher than what is considered as a risk acceptable in the society.
- Audited annual report of SPOLANA a.s. for calendar year 2012
- Flood at Spolana a.s. in August 2002, Loss Prevention Bulletin, Issue 180, August 2004, Institution of Chemical Engineers, UK:
- Greenpeace: Agent Orange in Spolana Neratovice
- Greenpeace: Carcinogens in human blood near Spolana can cause serious health problems
- Agent Orange in Spolana Neratovice
- Official web page
- Miroslav Šuta: Agent Orange a Spolana, Literární noviny, 24/2008 (Czech)