Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics
The Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics (or SCOAP3) is an international collaboration in the high-energy physics community to convert traditional closed access physics journals to open access, freely available for everyone to read and reuse, shifting away the burden of the publishing cost from readers (traditional model) and authors (in the case of hybrid open access journals). Under the terms of the agreement, authors retain copyrights and the articles published under SCOAP3 will be in perpetuity under a CC-BY license.
Participating countries in the agreement sponsor SCOAP3 journals through the consortium, and contribute according to their scientific output. More productive countries pay more, while lower-output countries pay less.
SCOAP3 supports journals mostly publishing High-Energy Physics content fully, and those articles in other journals that have been submitted by their authors to a High-Energy Physics category on arXiv.org. Each year more than 4,000 articles are published in open access as part of the initiative.
In 2012, SCOAP3 reached agreements with 12 subscription journals to make their articles openly accessible. This agreement would cover 90% of all published particle physics articles from 2014 onwards. Of the original 12 journals, two journals pulled out of the agreement: Physical Review C and Physical Review D.  On April 19, 2016, SCOAP3 announced the extension of the initiative until 2019 with 8 journals participating. From 2018 on also APS joined with three journals to a total of 11 supported journals at the moment.
The following journals participate currently, or are have been participated in the first phase of the consortia:
|journal||journal abbreviation||publisher||phase I participation||phase II participation|
|Acta Physica Polonica B||APPB||Jagiellonian University, Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences||2014 - 2016||2017 -|
|Advances in High Energy Physics||AHEP||Hindawi||2014 -2016||2017 -|
|Chinese Physics C||CPC||Science Press, IOP Publishing||2014 -2016||2017 -|
|European Physical Journal C||EPJC||Springer||2014 -2016||2017 -|
|Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics||JCAP||IOP Publishing||2014 -2016|
|Journal of High Energy Physics||JHEP||Springer||2014 -2016||2017 -|
|New Journal of Physics||NJP||IOP Publishing||2014 -2016|
|Nuclear Physics B||NPB||Elsevier||2014 -2016||2017 -|
|Physics Letters B||PLB||Elsevier||2014 -2016||2017 -|
|Physical Review C||PRC||American Physical Society||2018 -|
|Physical Review D||PRD||American Physical Society||2018 -|
|Physical Review Letters||PRL||American Physical Society||2018 -|
|Progress of Theoretical and Experimental Physics||PTEP||Oxford University Press||2014 -2016||2017 -|
Countries are usually represented by one or few library consortia, funding agencies or research organizations that act as a coordinator for the country. Currently, 43 countries as well as 3 intergovernmental organisations (CERN, IAEA, JINR) are members of the consortium.
- "SCOAP3 Journals". scoap3.org.
- "SCOAP3 Repository". repo.scoap3.org. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- Van Noorden, Richard (2012-09-24). "Open-access deal for particle physics". Nature. 489 (7417): 486–486. doi:10.1038/489486a. ISSN 0028-0836.
- Van Noorden, Richard (2014-01-07). "Particle-physics papers set free". Nature. 505 (7482): 141–141. doi:10.1038/505141a. ISSN 0028-0836.
- "SCOAP3 Journals: APCs and articles". SCOAP3. Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- "Summary of Executive Board discussion and actions on Open Access and SCOAP3 at June 18/19, 2013 meeting". American Physical Society. Retrieved 2014-09-11.
- "SCOAP3 initiative extended for three more years – SCOAP3". scoap3.org. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "APS to join SCOAP3 from 2018 – SCOAP3". scoap3.org. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "APS and CERN Sign an Open Access Agreement for SCOAP3". www.aps.org. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "SCOAP3 Journals 2014-2016 – SCOAP3". scoap3.org. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "SCOAP3 Journals 2017-2019 – SCOAP3". scoap3.org. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Current partners". scoap3.org.
- Open Access publishing initiative, SCOAP3, to start on 1 January 2014
- SCOAP3 Lifts Off: An 8 Interview with Ann Okerson
- Converting the Literature of a Scientific Field to Open Access through Global Collaboration: The Experience of SCOAP3 in Particle Physics